cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV HUB 2 very hot and drops all the time

We’ve had now TV broadband problems for the past 2 months now which the internet connection dropping from anywhere between 1 minute to hours at a time. 5 engineers have come out AND we’ve had a replacement router but it’s not solving the issue. External engineer due to come out this week and look at the exchange as there are problems on the line.

HOWEVER - I’ve noticed the router gets VERY hot, as do the replacement ones and I’m wondering if this is contributing to the issue because on touching it after it’s cut out the temperature is rediculous! 

Its placed in a space on its own out of direct sunlight but near an open window to help cool it down, but I’m tearing my hair out with all these issues. 

Has as anyone else had this issue? How do you solve it? 

Considering moving to a different provider if it’s just an issue with Now Tv Hub 2 routers. 

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Routers tend to be warm to hot to the touch because the boards are near to the plastic and are based on a single System-On-Chip (SOC) that combines the modem, main CPU and Wi-Fi transceiver.

The grill rack is a good idea to ensure there is circulation of air around it (particularly in warm weather) but it sounds like Sky have mobilised Openreach as they be seeing a high error rate on the line which could be due to poor copper condition, interference or in some cases just due to line length.

I hope they get it sorted for you.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
StevenKent1
Advocate

Hi, I have the same issue, my router runs hot and keeps cutting out, I've just received a new router to try and it's been plugged in for a matter of minutes and is already hot. And has cut out once lol I despair. I've had one engineer visit, he changed the adsl filter. I really think its time for a change as this has been ongoing for 2 years with no permanent fix. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@StevenKent1 

Your best to buy your own router as your finding the one from NOW is well not great. 

Only move if you are unhappy with the price otherwise the actual line speed might not be much better with another provider. Unless of course you can get onto a FTTP connection.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
StevenKent1
Advocate

I'm not big on tech. What sort of router should I buy. Is it easy to set up

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@StevenKent1 

No idea bud, I am with BT for my broadband with a cool 500mb so no issues at all. @Jayach are you able to point @StevenKent1 in the right direction?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

You will need a DSL router (so router with a built-in modem) that supports Sky(MER)_VDSL connection. Most new routers (and older routers with the latest firmware) from ASUS and TP-Link do.

The other option is to get a Sky SR203 from your favourite auction site, as that will be simply "plug and play", just like the Now router. but has a much better Wi-Fi signal.

Jayach
Elite 3

@StevenKent1 

As @gavs82008 says, if you are limited to FTTC connections Now is probably as good as any, but if you get your own router all your current problems will go away.

You will just be so disappointed you didn't do it 2 years ago. 🤣