cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Islay28

WiFi access while waiting for switch over

Hi there,

please excuse my lack of knowledge all things WiFi/ internet/ broadband and connection. 

I have been with nowtv for about three years. I was in a new build with loads of access points great service most of the time. I have just moved to an older property. Yesterday. Now tv are not able to switch over my service for 14 days I even looked at other providers and they were all the same. 

my issue is I need internet I have two young children, I work from home sometimes and this flat came without an arial point so we literally have no tv or anything. 

my question is can a dongle or something similar work for wifi substitute? I went to a store that said something about you need a nano SIM card can I get one of those from now tv? Even if I can just plug into the lap top and I can use it for work or for the kids to watch something when they are bored. 

my knowledge is very limited on all these things, someone mentioned a wifi dongle but I don’t know where to start. 

I hope you are able to help. & best wishes 

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

@Islay28 

If you have a mobile phone (and who doesn’t?) you can turn it into a WiFi hotspot, and connect to that.

But be aware that Now will consume quite large amounts of data, so you will need a plan with plenty of it, or it will get very expensive.

A WiFi dongle is, in effect, the WiFi part of a phone in its own little box; something you might need if you needed to take your phone out and about while your children were wanting to watch TV. But an old mobile would do equally well.

Other things being equal, Three have Data SIMs with a set amount of data on, that last a certain amount of time.

But your best bet, I think, is to take your problem to the local shop of your mobile provider, and see what they suggest; as it’s just for two weeks, I’m thinking an existing device of yours, not in current use, plus a SIM with a suitable amount of data on it for several weeks’s streaming (Now’s ‘14 days’ tend to stretch out), but not anything month to month, as this is just a temporary issue.

And no, Now aren’t in the mobile business, though parent company Sky might be.

You don’t describe how, exactly, you wound up with this 14-day wait; assuming you did the right thing and let Now know well in advance that you were moving, and they promised to activate you on your moving-in date, but have suddenly sprung this delay on you, then you are in line for compensation of, I think, slightly less than £100. Which should buy you a good chunk of data.

OTOH, if you didn’t arrange with Now in advance, then nothing, so I hope that’s not the case.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite 2

Noe that Wifi is not the internet, you can have wifi and network things over a wifi network and that network may not have internet access

You can use a phone as  a hotspot and use your data alowance, if you are on unlimited mobile data then this isnt an issue, otherwise you could get a data sime, put it in an old phone and use that as a hotspot.

Any indication of why you have chosen Now as your internet provider?

if you need good internet access for working from home then i would not recomend Now broadband as, amongst other things they only have a basic service level agreement with openreach for things such as fault repairs ( these will take longer) new provisions and house moves - both of those will/can take 14 days or so , meaning a longer wait for service.