cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trig1977
Advocate

Why can I not cancel my broadband online

I dont want to talk to them on the phone, I dont want to email.... I simply want to cancel my broadband that is now on a rolling one month contract that has doubled in price. 

I also do not want to switch as we are transfering it from my mothers email address to mine as I pay the bill. 

12 REPLIES 12
chilli2
Elite 2

Before you outright cancel, do you still want an internet service at that property?

If you do then there are a few options available, and an outright cancellation can cause issues with those and getting a cheaper deal with your current supplier (Now)  or a cheaper deal elsewhere.

A few questions:

1: Do you still want an internet service at that property?

2: Do you want to retain the phone number- also known as the landline number associated with that property and internet service?

3: Other than the price,and wanting to change account holder are you happy with the service from Now?

4: This is important as you can use it as a bargaining chip with Now, and/or be able to see what else is available: What other services are available in your area? who are they and how much do they charge monthly/annually/length of contract ( minimum term)?

As it is the phone number is tied to the broadband account, if you change provider and port the phone number then your current service with Now will automatically stop, and move to your new provider.

There are however a few new complications in place as openreach are transitioning to an all internet based service, where voice services (aka landlines) are routed over the internet, sometimes known as digital voice

If you are in a stop sell area then your only option with regards to porting is to sign up to a provider with "digital voice" or to move the phone line to a Voip provider ( ie vonage) which will cost, plus you will also need internet service(s)

As far as i know the following offer a FTTP with Voip option

BT retail

EE ( part of BT)

Sky ( the company that owns Now)

Vodafone

Zen

slswan
Scholar

I nearly left nowtv, as the bill went from £21 to £36 a month, so i rang them up, i had a package of broadband and unlimited anytime landline calls, so i said i dont use my landline at all, just rare incoming call but not outgoing calls, so they said i can have pay as you go on landline, so if i make a landline call its 22p a minute, so as i dont use it to make calls, the cost of my broadband and landline is only £18.00 a month! In otherwords, just ask for the broadband and landline only, not anytime calls, its the anytime calls thats costing the extra money as the £36. Package, if you never much use the landline to ring out, as you use your mobile mainly, then the savings are there. Even if you use your landline phone to ring out rarely its cheaper than the package of £36.00 a month as mentioned. So again, its £18.00 a month if you have the broadband, and pay as you go landline calls. We have to pay no matter what for landline, but if you barely use it in with a package its cheaper as a pay as you go landline and now tv broadband  package. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@slswan 

That is a good price as new starters are paying £20 for ADSL and £24 for VDSL. Anytime calls (should they be required) is £8 on top.

Nobody should stay on the increased "no longer in contract" prices. (unless they expect to leave shortly, and want to avoid an early termination fee)

But yes, well done for not just "jumping ship" before checking what Now would offer to keep you.