cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clyd
Scholar 2

Membership cancellation

I've been offered a new membership of NOW TV by Talktalk.

So I've cancelled my subscription to entertainment and films but can't find how to cancel the actual membership.

22 REPLIES 22
RoyB
Legend

@Clyd 

The scenario I envisage is that if you could get your existing Now account deleted, then Now will still retain enough information about you that if TalkTalk were to try to start an account for you with the same ID - email address, presumably - that warning bells would ring with Now, and they still wouldn’t allow it.

So, very inconveniently, you would have to give TalkTalk a whole new email address to set you up with.

New email addresses are easy to get on gmail, and free; but you still shouldn’t have to jump through this hoop.

BT, when snaffling independent Now users for Now via BT TV, can perfectly well take over their existing Now accounts, so I don’t understand why TalkTalk can’t do this for you.

Now will let you have any number of accounts in your name (i.e. paid for on the same Debit/Credit card), but they will need different Now usernames.

So what, exactly, is TalkTalk’s definition of a name?

(It is, of course, important to get the terminology right, as with the above, where what you call a subscription is what Now call a membership, and what you call a membership is what Now call an account; and what you, Now, TalkTalk, and your bank, call a name might be your actual name, or an email address, or what have you. Get the terminology sorted out first, and things may become clearer, for all parties).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Clyd
Scholar 2

You've hit the nail right on the head. I do have alternative addresses available which would therefore not be a problem.

I believe it's the way forward to at least try.

Although I've no idea how to get TT to accept a different address than what they deal with within my TT account.

How about if I change my address within Now, might that work?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Clyd 

Absolutely mate, you can change the email address with NOW and then send support an email to close that account. That should then sort out TT with your current working email. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite 2

Have you tried using a different email address/username combination?

Clyd
Scholar 2

That sounds like a good idea, I've just been back into TT to try again but it's totally failed and I'll have to contact them again to get the offer refreshed.

But surely the simple answer is to cancel the account?

Is there a link to the accounts people for me to get it done?

Clyd
Scholar 2

How about if I change my Now email address?

redchiz1
Champion 2

As I said at the outset you need to wait until your current subscriptions end with NOW. Then you can apply for the TalkTalk offer using your TalkTalk billing email address.

Clyd
Scholar 2

That is what I'm going to do now. I still anticipate that my email address will remain on file and stop it going through. In which case I will either change my email address on Now or cancel the account on Now.

Either way I don't think TT will allow any address change their end. We'll see.

redchiz1
Champion 2

It shouldn't matter. Once your NOW subscriptions have lapsed you will be billed directly by TalkTalk going forward.

RoyB
Legend

@Clyd 

@gavs82008 has asked you when your existing subscriptions expire, but you haven’t answered that 😢

It matters, because when you cancel a membership, you are really just cancelling the renewal, and the membership you have cancelled will still keep running until the next renewal date. 

It may be that for one or both memberships, the renewal date hasn’t been reached yet, and this is the actual sticking point with TalkTalk.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.