cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Riley
Advocate

Now TV "Good News" emails - Upping bills and pretending it`s a favour to you?!

This isn`t the first time this has happened. I had a special offer on the Entertainment package, it has happened many times before on other packages. I had 3 months left on a special offer where it was costing £3.99 a month. Then I get the "Good News" email saying we`ve given you an extra 6 months of this package at £5.99...No you have just put my bill up, this isn`t "good news". I want the 3 months I had left at £3.99, then you offer me the good news. The cheeky part is it says "you don`t have to do anything, it will be done automatically" why not give a choice? Wouldn`t this come under the unsolicited goods act. charging you extra for something you haven`t asked for? with no option to reject it other than cancellation?  

9 REPLIES 9
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Riley 

They have done similar stuff to this to me on two separate occasions. However, assuming that you are not on a six month minimum term you should be able to go through the cancellation process and you'll likely get a better offer from them which may even be less than what you are paying before they automatically put you onto a new offer. Twice they have tried to move me from a 5 pounds a month offer to a £6.99 a month offer once was the entertainment and once was the cinema. I have no problem with offers, but suggest to me by email and to give me a button to click to accept. Offers should be opt in, not opt out and get a better offer.

I've told them no, via the cancellation process each time they have  done this to me and and put me on a new offer automatically and they they ended up charging less than I was originally playing in the first place . What they initially 'offer you' isn't usually their best offer. Of course, there's no guarantee that you'll get an even better offer via the cancellation process, though.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Riley
Advocate

@commanda6 HI, Thanks for responding. I know the trick well of going through the (is it 3 or4?) cancellation pages to get a better offer on the final page. The last 2 times I tried it however, it just cancelled it.  (It may still work, but I think it needs to be near the end of the contract. (Hence getting entertainment, cinema and boost for less than £10.00 total a month (or at least it was!)  I think they wised up to people saying, cancel x4 then getting a bargain! I can live with the £2.00 extra, but it really annoys me, do this "offer" at the end of the current offer, not half way through. At least after I just tried to "Cancel" and it actually cancelled!, I clicked rejoin and the £2.00 extra one was still on there, rather than full price. (I don`t think I've ever paid full price with NowTV. (Any new or potential members should at least still try this, you`d be surprised what prices you can get it for, or at least used to. (I hope it still works at the end of the 6 months!) Anyway, thanks again for your advice. (Maybe I've done this too many times now and it is just me it no longer works on) 

Riley
Advocate

@commanda6 ...Just to be clear, when I said "end of the contract" I meant current offer BTW. 🙂 

PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

@Riley On 27th April 2024 I accepted an offer for Boost at £1 per month for 3 months (no minimimum term). Having just read this thread, I logged in to check my subscriptions and NOW TV have upped the discounted price of Boost from £1 to £4!!! It now states that on the 27th May 2024, NOW TV will collect £4 for Boost.

Riley
Advocate

@PaulNormanUK Hi Paul, My advice would be wait until a day or 2 before it is due to be taken out, then cancel, follow the cancel process until the last time it asks you, it usually makes you an offer. or at least it does usually for entertainment and Cinema. As I mentioned it is being a bit stingy at the moment for me at least, and I'm not 100% sure about the boost doing this, someone else may want to advise if it works for boost. (as I'm sure they would prefer you watching the adverts) I can`t comment on the sports package either as I don`t have that one. I`ve got my fingers crossed for you mate. My advice would be to keep an eye on the email account linked to NoWTV as they do usually warn you of their "AWESOME" (aka more expensive, overriding offer!) It is really cheeky, they need to sort this out. Dangling carrots on sticks to get you to bite, then yanking it away. Good luck Paul!

Riley
Advocate

@PaulNormanUK ....Also odd how it never works in the other direction, always an increased "special  offer" never seen a reduced one!

PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

@Riley Oddly enough, my upcoming payments show that NOW TV will collect £1 for Boost on the 27th May 2024.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 164554.png

Under subscriptions, it shows £4.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 164621.png

Riley
Advocate

It could just be a glitch for you...Mine went in the opposite direction lol, £1.00 extra for Cinema, and £2.00 extra for entertainment! so £3.00 extra....Maybe they are watching the thread and I should just shut up before it gets worse! 🙂 But I`d check your emails for a an email titled "good news! You’ve got some new offers..." 

PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

@Riley It maybe a glitch... I have taken a screenshot of my offers though just in case. 

Only reason I have Boost is because you can't watch anything if you don't exit a stream a certain way. Nothing worse than paying for a service only to find you can't use it.