cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darren2
Mentor

Now tv stick won't update

I've tried to use my now tv stick after a couple of weeks and it said it needed to update,  have tried this but each time on restart just back to the same screen.  Have tried a factory reset , again it says its doing the update but then when it restarts its back to the set up procedure  asking which language i want,  but soon as it connects to wi fi says  it needs to update and off  we go again.  I've tried all the stuff on now tv not very good technical help

14 REPLIES 14
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Darren2 

If I were you ditch the NOW stick and get either a Roku or Amazon fire stick. Sounds like the stick is on the way out to die.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Darren2 

How is the stick powered?

Through the USB port of the TV or the plug?

Darren2
Mentor

Through a plug

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Darren2 

Take it you’ve unplugged the power from the stick and your router for a few minutes?

Otherwise I’m afraid it’s not looking good for the stick.

RokuSky
Scholar

Could you share the device ID printed on  your NOW TV Stick please? It starts with D4 and is printed on the stick itself.

Or if you can can get to the secret screen (press Home x5, FFWDx3, RWD x2) then share a picture of that.

RokuSky
Scholar

Please DM the above information to me @Darren2 rather than sharing with the whole community. If you're still having the problem that is.

Darren2
Mentor

Thanks,  sent. 

RokuSky
Scholar

Thanks. Looking at logs your device is running slightly older firmware (11.0.3.4063) - it should have updated a couple of times since then in Jan and May. The updates are being downloaded but there is a crash on boot - in this situation the device reverts to the last known good FW. That is why you're in a loop of trying to update.

I can't see the exact reason for the crash but suspect it may be hardware related. If so, I'm afraid you'd be looking at a replacement device 😞

I've pushed a different (more recent) FW build to your device and will check if that updates any more successfully.

RokuSky
Scholar

I haven't seen that device active since Friday - just wanted to check if you'd left it connected and powered on?