cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCN
Scholar

5.1 not working on Rocu Stick

Since latest update 5.1 no longer works via the app on the Rocu Stick, it still works on chromecast though.

Appears to be a bug in the latest update 8.1 Mar 25, 2024

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MCN
Scholar

@RokuSky  I can confirm 5.1 audio works again with the 8.11 update, sad Sky systems mean they insist these issues are always down to the customer and will never accept their own failings, perhaps when enough people get ###### off and leave to netflix etc they will grow up.

iPlayer does not support 5.1 generally on any devices, it may with UHD content but I have no-way to test that.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
redchiz1
Champion 2

@MCN 

No good reporting it here I'm afraid, reach out to NOW directly and Roku as appropriate. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@MCN 

As mentioned by @redchiz1 you are best to reach out with staff which is via live chat. Make sure to be signed in and use the ‘How to get in touch’ drop down.
https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/tv/problems-watching-now

Man I really hate the live chat button being hidden away under that drop down. As many people wont notice it. The button should just be there.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@MCN 

And as a heads up not to expect a reply from staff. See this link for the forum purpose.
https://community.nowtv.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/what-is-community-for

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
MCN
Scholar

@MCN Thanks for the replies.

I have been on chat but they are unable to resolve the issue, 5.1 works on every app except for the now app (with boost) have tried everything including box reset and removing/readding the now app

Dug out my old now stick, had to update that but playing 5.1 content again have the same issue, which again points to the latest update but it seems now/sky refuse to accept they have a fault!!

How many others have this same issue?

RoyB
Legend

@MCN 

You don’t say what TV you are using, but I needed to set the port my Roku Stick was using on my Samsung JS9000 to Enhanced HDMI before the BBC iPlayer would offer me 4K over it.

Not quite the same issue (and perhaps not the same at all) but if you can set Enhanced HDMI, but haven’t, it might be worth a try.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
MCN
Scholar

@RoyBI'm talking of sound, not vision, so the TV is irrelevant, in any-case as I said it worked before but stopped after the latest update.

PS If you haven't got a surround sound amp on your system yet, get one, sound is 50% of the experience when its done right.

RoyB
Legend

@MCN 

I wouldn’t call the device that the Roku stick is plugged into irrelevant actually, but I know what you mean 😛

Your Now Stick I can parallel, but exactly which Roku Stick are we discussing (System/About/Model Number)?

I can confirm my Roku Premiere is still putting out 5.1 like a good ‘un, but its Last Updated date is January 25 2024. I’ll try my Now Stick tomorrow, in its place, see if/when it updates, see if it loses 5.1.

This Roku is feeding an LG GX TV with a GX soundbar and sub, and the add-on wireless rears. It’s not too shabby - Akira in UHD/DTS-X has to be seen and heard to be believed, though that’s from the UHD BluRay player.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
MCN
Scholar

@RoyB 
Thanks for the info, I can see the confusion, you have your system configured through your TV, I have mine through my Yamaha surround amp, that has 6 HDMI inputs so it doubles as a HDMI switch, so the stick is plugged into the Yamaha which detects what sound is on the HDMI, indicates that on its display and outputs to separate speakers. The TV is connected to the amps HDMI output, sound is only passed to the TV when the amp is in standby.

The Roku streaming stick is a 3810EU Software 12.55 build 4174-50 Now app V 8.1 Mar 25, 2024

I have now also tried on an old NowTV stick 3801UK Software 12.5.3 build 4008-56 with Now app V 8.1, the same problem persists with that too.

RoyB
Legend

@MCN 

Ah, I can do this both directly on the TV, and via the HDMI In on the soundbar.

3810EU 12.55 4174-50 Last Updated 18/01/2024 22:45

Now app on the Stick is 8.10.0, no indication of when it updated.

But I’m finding this irrelevant, as this Roku Stick is only ever putting out PCM, both on Now and on the BBC iPlayer, where the BBC iPlayer on the TV and the BBC iPlayer on the YouView box in HDMI 1 both put out ‘Dolby Audio’. All when I play ‘Mammals’ Episode 1, and according to the Info button on the GX Soundbar remote, which tells you what sound the soundbar is receiving.

Similar on my Roku Premiere, but I have a deal of putting back to do before I can capture its stats.

But you are saying only Now is affected. Can you check my findings on the BBC iPlayer, and report back?