cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

signed up for broadband, logged in to find broadband has been cancelled?

i just signed up for broadband and phone calls, filled in all relevant details, paid the £5 setup fee, logged into account to find out it has been cancelled, cancelled without informing me? plus stole the £5 setup fee, disgusting behaviour..

11 REPLIES 11
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Call the Broadband team on 0330 041 2518 and ask them what happened here.

I’m sure they will have a satisfactory explanation 🙂

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

i think it has something to do with my current provider sky? the phone is connected to the router itself, not the usual socket on the wall, i have decided to go with BT now , 

Jayach
Elite 3

There have been previous posts where people have not been able to join due to no longer having their phone on POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service). I'm sure the delivery fee will be refunded.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Another gap in my knowledge 😢

IIRC, when we went FTTP at our previous house, we kept our BT Master Socket and the landline behind it, and our DECT base station remained plugged into it.

And when the broadband was on that landline, it maxed out at about 25Mbps, so I’m guessing that was ADSL, copper to the exchange, and the fibre was a whole different thing?

Here, all we have is FTTP, and BT supplied us with a little box that we now plug the DECT base station into, and that talks via WiFi to the BT Hub, so now we are VOIP without having to replace our DECT phones with VOIP ones.

So the other setup people might have is FTTC which would be with what? VOIP if you wanted it, or POTS if you had it before? Or do you lose POTS with FTTC?

And how does it come about that you can’t have Now Broadband if you haven’t got a POTS line? Obviously we can’t use Now here, as we only have FTTP. But is this the only scenario Now can’t unravel, or can there be FTTC setups Now can’t take on?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach 

Another gap in my knowledge 😢

IIRC, when we went FTTP at our previous house, we kept our BT Master Socket and the landline behind it, and our DECT base station remained plugged into it.

I don't think that was FTTP, probably FTTC. It's not possible to have POTS on FTTP, Not without having separate accounts .

And when the broadband was on that landline, it maxed out at about 25Mbps, so I’m guessing that was ADSL, copper to the exchange, and the fibre was a whole different thing?

ADSL2 maxes out at about 24Mbs down 2Mbs up.

FTTC maxes out at about 80Mbs down 20Mbs up.

Here, all we have is FTTP, and BT supplied us with a little box that we now plug the DECT base station into, and that talks via WiFi to the BT Hub, so now we are VOIP without having to replace our DECT phones with VOIP ones.

I suspect you had to pay for that box, (although they may have lost the price in the contract), otherwise you would be plugging the DECT base station direct into the router

So the other setup people might have is FTTC which would be with what? VOIP if you wanted it, or POTS if you had it before? Or do you lose POTS with FTTC?

The subscriber really has no control over this. Some ISP's still use POTS whilst on FTTC (Now and Vodafone) some now insist on VoIP on FTTC (Sky and BT) some only use it when on FTTP (Vodafone). As I really only know is Sky/Now and Vodafone I can't really say what the other ISP's do,.

And how does it come about that you can’t have Now Broadband if you haven’t got a POTS line? Obviously we can’t use Now here, as we only have FTTP. But is this the only scenario Now can’t unravel, or can there be FTTC setups Now can’t take on?

That is a bit more difficult (for me) to explain. The thing is on Now, the line is still POTS, but if you are coming from another ISP, the phone service may be VoIP.

It seems once a number has been transferred to VoIP, is is really difficult (if not impossible) to get it back to POTS, whether there is a technical reason or it is just Openreach saying they won't do it (don't forget they are trying to convert everyone over) I can't say.

If you went from ADSL at your previous address, to FTTP at your new one, you skipped a whole generation of technology. Most of us go ADSL - FTTC - FTTP, and so the differences are more incremental.

As far as the voice technology is concerned ADSL has to be POTS, FTTP has to be VoIP, but FTTC can be either, depending on what the ISP chooses.

HTH

Jayach
Elite 3

Ignore this bit, I deleted it.

Jayach
Elite 3

Re-reading what I have said, there are a couple of points that I could have put better, so feel free to query anything.

RoyB
Legend

Thanks very much for that.

We went ADSL to FTTP at our previous house in one jump, no question, 500Mbps. It would seem there wasn’t any FTTC there to have 😢 When OpenReach laid the fibre, BT, who we were with on the ADSL, asked if we were interested, and we said yes. When they brought the fibre, they brought a whole separate line round the outside of the house to where the router was, and didn’t touch the Master Socket, wired internally through the house. Didn’t affect our phone number, didn’t go VOIP, or if it did, it was entirely transparent to us. Had to stop using our Netgear Nighthawk and have a BT Hub - maybe we had to move the telephone connection onto the Hub, as I seem to recall the Master Socket became entirely redundant, though nobody made a move to remove it.

Still just the one BT account. I think the old phone bills got tossed after we moved, but I will have a look.

Re FTTP here, there was no separate charge for the VOIP adaptor, but as you say, I am sure BT factored the cost in somewhere, just like the router there was no upfront charge for 😛

On the router, we have an Ethernet socket for WAN, connected to the OpenReach ONT we found preinstalled, three Ethernet sockets to distribute wired Ethernet round the house, a green phone socket of the wide sort covered with a black sticker that says ‘VOIP Customer Only’ and a phone socket of the narrow sort labelled ‘Broadband b’.

I think the black sticker means “don’t try to use this socket”, as BT were pretty clear we had to go VOIP, and we were pleased the adaptor meant we could carry on with our DECT designer phones.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7478219?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=...

We had to change our phone number, but we didn’t want to bring our old one anyway. Maybe that’s an indicator the old one was moved off POTS? But we definitely didn’t have the adaptor until we got here. If I remember correctly, at the old house we still didn’t have to dial the area code for local calls, though on VOIP you do, as there is no ‘local’ with VOIP.

As regards the last point, I can see why that would mean a user couldn’t keep their existing number, but I still don’t see why they couldn’t have Now and go back to POTS.

Unless Now bounce requests for transfers that tick ‘Keep existing number’ without even going back to the potential user to see if that’s negotiable?

Jayach
Elite 3

Thanks to @chilli2 for clearing up a few points. I think I mistakenly said POTS when I really meant PSTN a couple of times. They are easily confused. Even if you google it, there are conflicting answers.

Of course VoIP is possible over ADSL, I just meant they were never (AFAIK) supplied together as a service.

I suspect in your original BT FTTP installation the ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) was part of the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) installation and now you have a wirelessly connected one. Possibly like this: Digital Voice Adapter | BT Help