cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SO58
Scholar

Tplink VX1800V (VDSL/ADSL Modem Router)

Is it possible to replace the standard kit supplied for this model I have?

I need the extra ports and extra features.

saying in the specs it supports MER\IPoE (RFC 1483 Routed) - but can’t find it in the options. 

Thankyou 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SO58
Scholar

@chilli2 

Just to confirm. TP-link have confirmed it's a problem with the firmware setup and have passed it on to the senior engineers for investigation. Hopefully an update will come soon, but at the moment. Myself and several others on the tp-link community are awaiting this to be rectified.

I have since tried the *AC2100 (VR2100) using the *details provided and it worked perfectly with the details above and has the option to add the login details, where the AX1800v doesn't. 

abcdefgh (at) skydsl

1234567890abcdef

(@nowtv didn’t work, for reference)

Thanks for your help and patience 👍

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2 @Jayach 

My assumption is that @SO58 has possibly posted this in the wrong section of the forum for you both to not see it?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
SO58
Scholar

@gavs82008 Apologies, didn’t realise I’d posted in the wrong section. Where should I go for further advice?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SO58 

You don’t need to go anywhere, the two customers with knowledge broadband on the forum I have tagged in. They will be able to point you in the right direction. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

@SO58 

Make sure the router has the latest firmware, and look for a Sky(MER)_VDSL or similar connection. That should work for Now. 

SO58
Scholar

@Jayach I have done this sky_Mer Vdsl, but am unfortunately still not getting any internet connection.

I was maybe thinking I’ve missed something. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@SO58 

I don't know that specific router, but the TP-Links are usually pretty easy to set up.

I would suggest a factory reset of the router whilst it is connected to the DSL line, and use the setup wizard to configure it.

chilli2
Elite

check its running the latest firmware update , dont rely on the click here to see if firmware is up to date option, check the firmware version against the tp iink firmware site ,- checking this it appears to be  new and nice bit of kit so the as issued firmware may be the latest:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vx1800v/

This is the set up i use for my TP link, the username and password are generic as Now (and Sky) use a different log in/authentication system but they must be formatted exactly the same. -I use the same username and passwords as on that guide.

I've noticed that your VX1800 router also has voip built in, you can not transfer your Now landline to voip as it is an analogue number/service and doing so will cease the broadband, it at some point in the future you move to BT or EE and want to take out "digital voice" then this will only work on BT equipment,  however there are better voip services out there . This VX1800 looks like a very nice bit of kit and *should* work with Now broadband as well as full fibre/FTTP services in the future  - theres even an easy to set up free tp link DDNS on some of the routers (TP link Cloud) full parental; controls/access control access control via phone app and so on.

As for setting it up, other than what ive posted, and my own experience i cant offer much more advice the image was taken from here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/264802?sortDir=ASC&page=2 and i suggest you try the tp link support forms for more help if needed, and relay back here so others may also be able to use the advice
441bab10fb3341139f31b059fa8e193e

SO58
Scholar

@chilli2 one thing I should have mentioned is I have fibre to the cabinet, with a openreach built in spilter box for the dsl connection.

Had another crack at this today, unfortunately no joy. Just can’t seem to get it to authenticate. And have the dreaded orange light on internet connection. 

I’ll give tplink support another go and report back if I have any success. I may keep the device just incase I decide to switch providers in the future. But it seems Sky/Now make it tricky on purpose.

The customer service for Now was very dismissive and basically said, it’s your responsibility to sort it out. 👍🫣

I’m still in a cooling off period with them, so tempted just to cancel and go elsewhere to be honest.

chilli2
Elite

@SO58it sounds like you have the same as me, FTTC with built in DSL splitter on the open reach mastersocket - 1 socket for the analogue phone and another marked DSL for the router .

I had a minor issue authenicating, but then i discovered that the username and password absolutely must be the same as those is the attached image, make sure that there are no full stops or spaces either before or after the username or password entry

under the network/internet tab you should seesomething like

WAN interface type ipoe_ptm_101_0_d

VPI/VCO or VID: 101

status connected ( ir not if something not right)

operation: disconect ( this will disconect or connect you )

and then an option to modify or delete

click on modify and you should see

DSL Modulation Type: VDSL
VLAN ID: 101

Internet Connection Type: Dynamic IP
IPv4: Enable

although for me it was just a case of following through the set up wizzard for Sky(MER)_VDSL and inputting the username and password exactly with no leading spaces or spaces at the end , there are a few other Sky settings in the ISP list  but the only one that works should be the one for Sky (MER)_VDSL

All ISPs , with only one exception that i know of ( andrews arnold) will only support you if you use their own kit, if you need help with non isp supplied kit you will need to contact the supplier ie tplink