cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gypsymoth
Mentor

Optimising my new NOW Service when used with an Asus Router

Hello

Just moved from Plusnet where I had an Openreach modem, connected to my new-ish Asus TUF5400 router. This is cabled to a gigabit switch which serves multiple cat 6 connections all over the house (and some Unifi access points).

I don't want to change the switch-to-access point setup as it gives excellent wifi coverage throughout my tall house.

When I got the Now Hub 2 yesterday, I simply connected it to the phone box, then put a Cat6 cable b/w it and the Asus. After a bit of tinkering, I changed to access to PPPoE (I think) and the Asus successfully received a signal from the Hub 2, and everything *nearly* works.

I say *nearly* because I'm getting regular slow downs when loading web pages etc. The Speedtest results are good - 8ms ping, 58meg down, 18meg up - but something makes me think the setup isnt optimised.

I know the Hub 2 cant access as a simple modem, but can anyone suggest config changes at the Hub 2 OR Asus end to make things work as well as possible?

Thank you

One of my Asus router config pages 

11 REPLIES 11
chilli2
Elite

By openreach modem, do you mean the old rectangular white box?

As you are probably aware, the Now Router is somewhat basic, and can not be used in modem only mode, what you may need is something that can replace the old openreach, as your current set up may be causing something called Double NAT.

Both Sky and Now use an oddball method to authenticate the connection, so if using your own kit to connect  then you need to make sure its compatable.

a quick google search for your router name and Sky broadband brings up this :

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Asus-Router-Gs-ax5400-setting-on-Sky-broadband/td-p/4120833

in theory that should work with Now broadband

Gypsymoth
Mentor

Hi @chilli2 - that link is a really good find. Makes sense.

If I can't put the ASUS in access point mode, I may try and pick up a second hand TP Link modem/router.

Thing is, I may move onto FTTP so buying extra kit might be wasteful

Either way, thanks!

chilli2
Elite

Depends upon how much you spend - all you need is a replacement for the white openreach modem - everything after that should be OK, or upgradable as/when needed.

For my situation i could sign up to an FTTP service now, and ditch now, however the speeds etc that I am getting from Now suit my needs and the price of my current now deal is very good , to go to FTTP and have the same level of service i would be looking at almost paying double what i am now paying now now

Jayach
Elite 3

@chilli2 wrote:
Now suit my needs and the price of my current now deal is very good , to go to FTTP and have the same level of service i would be looking at almost paying double what i am now paying now now

You must have a very good deal from Now, Sky Ultrafast 145Mbs is only £29.00 per month. 

Jayach_0-1691281507543.png

chilli2
Elite

£24.50 for "fab fibre" with inclusive anytime calls

Jayach
Elite 3

Ah yes, getting the inclusive calls makes a big difference.

I'm a bit surprised you still get them, as they no longer offer them on new contracts. (It's the main reason I didn't come over to Now)

Gypsymoth
Mentor

Cheers. Just picked up a TP Link for £7!

Our roads in London dont have FTTP yet but they're currently digging them up and laying the cables so should be within the next 6 months hopefully

Jayach
Elite 3

@Gypsymoth wrote:

Cheers. Just picked up a TP Link for £7!

What model did you get?

Let us know how you get on using it. Presumably you will configure it to do the authentication, and let the ASUS do everything else.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic for a while.

Gypsymoth
Mentor

tp link td w9970