cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now router

I have just received my new Now router and will be going live next week.

My problem is that my old Post Office router has 4 LAN ports and I use them all, however the new Now router only has 2 LAN ports.

Does Now supply a 4 port router or can I continue to use my existing router? 

Hate taking backward steps!

3 REPLIES 3
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

No they don’t. The router from NOW is what you have. 
You could try using your own router, but for any issues etc you’ll need to plug in the NOW router for the team to try and resolve it.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite 2

There are a few options available, however one thing you should be aware of is that - as you are discovering the Now router has some short comings the least of them being the lack of ethernet ports.

I'm assuming you have moved to Now, like I did for the significant cost savings , in most cases supplying your own router to use with now will still be cheaper than staying where you were/are when you take in the cost of a router, plus the cost of the now service over a 12 month period vs what you would have been paying elsewhere.

Fist of all do you have to give the post office router back?

There have been reports of these having to be returned: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6333420/router-return-when-originally-with-post-offi...

If you dont you could use it in conjunction with the now router to provide more ethernet ports and better wifi

You could get your own router - i sue a tp link router archer vr2800 - other cheaper models are available that should work from brands such as D link, Asus TP link etc - however you must check to see that the model you are looking at is compatable with MER/Option 61 , i used info here to set my router up: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/264802?page=1

Tip: if changing your router/isp you will find that the new device - whatever it is will have a new network name and password if you continue "as is" you will need to go through the time consuming task of changing the wifi settings on countless devices - you will have more than you think.

You skip can all of that by only changing the password /name on one device the new router

make a note of the exact network name on your old router and the password including any capitals, underscores  _  and anything else and then when you set up the new router give it the same SSID ( wifi network name) and password as your old router this means you only change the settings on  one device and not countless others

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I have a BT router with only three Ethernet ports, and I need four. My solution was an Ethernet switch, from Curry’s, though other sources are available:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/computing/networking/network-switches

One of these plugs into one of the ports on your router, thus giving you (router ports + switch ports - 2). Avoid the 100Mbps one, but beyond that, it’s just a case of how many ports you want, and if you want a metal case rather than plastic.

Although it’s called a switch, there’s nothing you need to switch; it’s exactly as if your router had that many ports to begin with.

@chilli2’s solution of a replacement router is a much better option of course, as long as it has enough ports for you; but if not, a replacement router plus an Ethernet switch will cover all your bases.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.