cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cancelling advice

So after some problems, I'm on a 80-20 line and I get 1 mb more than a 40-10 line, and have not been happy as this is what they give, they could not get my address correct among other things, so called up the explaned my case and they agreed to not incur any cancellation fees.

Question  is, when I signed up, it was for the house phone too, would this be cancelled when I switch, or do you think they ment Boardband only?

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

The phone line is how NOW broadband is provided, if you cancel broadband the phoneline will go also. 

You could try BT?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

The speeds you get depend on your line, not the service you take out.

You should have been given a minimum speed when you upgraded, what was it?

If you want to see what Openreach think your line capable of look here:

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Yes, the telephone and broadband are on the same contract.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes they did but it was a min of 38mb max 66mb, my older provider sky was a min 50mb max was 66mb. So think would be the same, but it's not. I'm not on the bt wholesale site, part of the problem they could not fix.

I have found different providers give different min speeds. Apon checking and doing there tests.

But Now on a 40-10 line to a 80-20 line they offer 2-3 mb increase from checking.

I could have a bad line still or it's what they get from sky. Yet now are saying that my line is fine. Yet clearly something is up. But am going back to sky and get there min speed instead that is more.

Jayach
Elite 3

The minimum speed estimate is just that, an estimate. Your line will give what it can, irrespective of the ISP.

Some ISPs will try to give the max your line can support, others will accept lower, because they don't want to expend the cost/effort to achieve it.

Much of it is down to the price you pay for the service, the more expensive ones put the effort into achieving the Max.

Like everything, you get what you pay for.

Do let us know how it goes when/if you return to Sky.

Without going back through your various posts, are we talking sync speeds or Wi-Fi speeds?

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

You say that about the line, but if I take Fab Fibre to save a few bob when I could have had Super Fibre, I get a lower speed down the exact same line that would have supported Super Fibre.

So how does that work?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

It is simply capped at the limit. You should find that if you check the sync, it will be held at the maximum, and you will have a higher SNR.

I suspect if the OP had checked the sync before upgrading, they would have seen the SNR allowed very little room for a speed increase.

Or they could just have checked the Openreach checker to find the same thing.

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

They haven't said what they get now on Super Fibre, and what they previously had on Fab Fibre. Those figures may be enlightening.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Old post but think I'll update, I can fool my router so I can get a higher speed. Its what I did with sky Boardband. With now I can increase it so it will say be 60000kbps etc, yet I can not download more than 44mbps yet at 60000kps should be around 60mb, so yea NOW are capping speeds. I have cancelled and going back to sky with a min download of 58mb!. For the same line. 

Also Now use a different DLM too, that was made badly.

1 of the things sky do is lower your siginal to the device via there DLM to 3SNR on download giving 62000kbps, giving a better speed. An with my router I would increase more and get it so was around 67000kbps at around 550meter from the cab.

The reason  I swapped from sky to now was a monthly cost increase of £20 per month. Yet now I'm going back I got it a lot cheaper again.

Also NOW can not find me on the btwholesale checker, as I have said, I have to use like a gps to find me on btwholesale site. They have my street as if it was a block of flats. Even when the engineers turn up they have to follow the line to find my street correctly.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User wrote:

The reason  I swapped from sky to now was a monthly cost increase of £20 per month. Yet now I'm going back I got it a lot cheaper again.

Once you have left Sky for a year, you can get the "new customer" discounts.

I aways think that is crazy, it should be better for them to keep clients rather than spend money trying to get new ones.