cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV delayed

Why is Now TV when chrome casting about 30 seconds to 1 minute delayed?  It’s not delayed when I watch on my phone, only when I cast. Definitely an app issue at their end as it goes back prior to what was showing on the app before I cast it…

Makes T20 cricket completely unwatchable… paying 25 quid a month for this trash so enough to cancel my membership 

4 REPLIES 4
chilli2
Elite

The joys of streaming.

Lag/delay will  depending upon how many servers etc the video feed goes through, plus how many times the video is processed before it is displayed on a screen

Have you tried another device such as a fire stick, or a Roku?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Also I believe using a Chromecast the NOW stream needs to be directed through the Google servers before it reaches your TV which adds another delay to live streaming events using the internet.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If it was a “server issue” from to chrome cast, why is it that no other streaming service has this problem?? Presumably it’s an intentional decision from Now to delay the stream to encourage people to buy Sky. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sky Glass and Sky Stream customers would be in a similar boat with the time delay latency when watching live Sky Sports which uses the internet has their delivery mechanism.

Sky Sat or possibly BT TV using the multicast live TV Guide would reduce the latency by a big chunk of time if it concerns you that much.

This is an interesting article I found with regards to the live event experience compared to watching over the internet.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/super-bowl-lvi-streaming-averaged-50-60-seconds-behind-cable 

Maybe drop NOW an email asking them the reasoning behind why there is a further 30 second delay when casting over Chromecast compared to watching the same live feed on the NOW App on your smartphone.

Here's their email address on the screenshot below if you want to ask them the question directly.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg