cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No picture

Hi I have been watching Freeview with inside Arial with no problems but today the now TV  engineer installed WiFi and land line now I have no TV unless I disconnect the WiFi ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Couldn't see a HDMI port on the back of your TV from the photo (unless there is one fitted on the side).

The port above the three Scart Sockets looks like a DVI port to me (pre HDMI).

So it looks like you may have to swap out your Panasonic TV to the newer Toshiba TV that you have with the two HDMI ports. 

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
RoyB
Legend

According to the manual for this TV, that port above the 3 SCARTs is an HDMI port.

However, this is a non-Smart, non-HD channels, HD Ready (I.e. not Full HD) set from 2005.

I think this is one I used to have - I certainly had a 26in Panasonic Digital TV - and if it is, it takes an age to come on?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@RoyB wrote:

According to the manual for this TV, that port above the 3 SCARTs is an HDMI port.

However, this is a non-Smart, non-HD channels, HD Ready (I.e. not Full HD) set from 2005.

I think this is one I used to have - I certainly had a 26in Panasonic Digital TV - and if it is, it takes an age to come on?

Oops, cut off in my prime - rest of my posting below:-

The Toshiba is still only HD Ready, though at 32in this is no big deal really. But it is a Smart TV, from 2014, it can connect via WiFi or via wired Ethernet, it has more than one HDMI input, and it has an HD tuner to get the HD channels from 101 up as well as the SD versions from 1 up.

But - as long as that really isan HDMI socket on the Panny - either would need you to use a Now TV Stick to exploit your six month’s Entertainment Pass straightforwardly on a TV set.

I would definitely favour using the Tosh in place of the Panny if you can.

The NowTV Stick does a pretty good job of making unSmart TVs Smart, and Smart TVs even Smarter, by bringing not just NowTV, but the BBC iPlayer and other Channel players (free) plus Netflix (subscription) and other services.

Since 2014 though, TVs have come on leaps and bounds, with Full HD on many 32in sets, and 4K on larger ones with HDR and all sorts of extra goodies, which you might be tempted by if you wander round a Curry’s. They would still benefit from the Stick though - even on the modern Smart ones with lots of Apps, few if any have the range of apps that the Stick brings.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok many thanks I think it's clear now i will change over TVs to the smart one then enter the WiFi password 

So then to watch the now pass I need to buy a now box or now stick ?

Hope that's it now

Many thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok so I think it's all clear now one last thing once my free 6 month pass runs out I know I can buy more but if I don't want to what happens with regards to the sticks performance 

Can I continue watching Freeview and will the catch-up and BBC I player service still work !!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You can still use the NowTV stick for the third party Apps such has BBC iPlayer etc once you no longer have any nowtv passes on your account.

Have a read of this.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/do-i-need-active-pass-to-use-now-tv-box-stick

Please note only the BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub App offer live TV, so you will have to keep using your Toshiba TV inbuilt tuner with your portable indoor aerial for all the over the air Freeview TV channels.

If you are going down the NowTV stick route then maybe consider the bundled entertainment pass (unless you fancy a different pass like cinema for example).

Once you have setup the stick the voucher that is electronically preloaded on the stick will be automatically saved on your account.

Should you go for the entertainment voucher, then once you are within 30 days or less of your current 6 month entertainment offer, then you can redeem this extra voucher on your account.

Or if you wish you can start the voucher later and have a break between your existing 6 month entertainment pass and the entertainment voucher on the stick.

You have a maximum limit of 12 months from date of purchase to redeem & start the voucher off the stick.

Should you wish to cancel your nowtv passes, make sure you cancel the pass before the next due payment date (Go to My Account > Passes & Vouchers section on here) and follow the step by step on screen cancel instructions until you see the green thumb confirmation cancel message and it also shows cancelled next to your nowtv pass.

Normally you should also receive an email from NowTV saying you have cancelled a pass on your account.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks my first time with now TV think I have got it now 👍

RoyB
Legend

On the ‘Stick or Box?’ front:-

(1) the Box has 4K for some services, but the Stick doesn’t;

(2) the Box can work off an Ethernet cable or via WiFi, the Stick only via WiFi;

(3) Sticks have been reported to overheat, Boxes not;

(4) Sticks cost £20, with an included two month’s Entertainment pass, Boxes are £45 on their own;

(5) Sticks are portable, and can be installed unobtrusively, Boxes not so much;

You should buy a Stick, because:-

(1) Without a 4K TV, you can’t take advantage of the 4K on the Box. If/when you do buy a 4K TV, it will likely have those 4K services built in. NowTV is only in 720p (HD Ready), even on the Box, and even if it gets up to 1080p (Full HD), it will still be the same on the Stick;

(2) As you are not limited to Ethernet, but can use WiFi, this difference does not matter;

(3) I run two NowTV Sticks, one always on, neither of which gets more than pleasantly warm to the touch. Any heating issues can be mitigated with an HDMI extender cable and good ventilation; and Sticks that boil should go back for replacement, in my book;

(4) Speaks for itself;

(5) My Stick that isn’t ‘always on’ sits in an HDMI port on the side of our bedroom 32in set, and is powered from a USB socket just above it, with a short USB adapter cable. This makes it completely self-contained. It also means that it is powered off when the TV is put into standby (though other makes/models of TV may keep these USB ports live), and boots every time the TV is turned on, but it’s very quick. It also means that I can easily move Stick and USB power cable easily to other TVs (e.g. when visitors come) without disturbing my six devices/three swaps a month arrangements.

For software updates, NowTV recommend using the supplied mains power adapter rather than the USB on the TV; no worries, I can swap that in momentarily when an update looms.

As regards the £45 Box, there is nothing it can do for me at present that isn’t covered by the Stick plus the built-in apps on our 4K TV. Though I keep my eye on it to see if that changes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So it looks like the stick gets my vote will buy one asap 

Many thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

I think my last post was barking up the wrong tree, where @Anonymous User mentions switching off the WiFi (where i am assuming this means switching off the NowTV Hub Router at the power mains) and once the Hub Router was switched off the TV channels re appeared again on their television set.

If this is the case, it sounds to me like there is some sort of wifi interference from the NowTV Hub Router effecting their portable aerial or the associated wiring.

The only things i would try (if it was me) would be double check the aerial wiring and keep all cables apart from each other, move around and experiment with different locations in the room for both the NowTV Hub Router and TV aerial.

Maybe also go into the NowTV Hub Router settings and try both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi freq bands and try different wifi channels.