cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No picture

Hi I have been watching Freeview with inside Arial with no problems but today the now TV  engineer installed WiFi and land line now I have no TV unless I disconnect the WiFi ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Couldn't see a HDMI port on the back of your TV from the photo (unless there is one fitted on the side).

The port above the three Scart Sockets looks like a DVI port to me (pre HDMI).

So it looks like you may have to swap out your Panasonic TV to the newer Toshiba TV that you have with the two HDMI ports. 

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi I have been watching Freeview with inside Arial with no problems but today the now TV  engineer installed WiFi and land line now I have no TV unless I disconnect the WiFi ??

That’s weird - there shouldn’t be any connection between the two things.

So you have a set top aerial - check the wire is OK, and it’s plugged into the TV.

Is it mains powered? If so, check it is still plugged in at the mains and switched on.

Do you get a TV picture now?

But you are saying if you have the WiFi on (by which perhaps you mean the router on, or perhaps literally the WiFi) that the TV picture goes away?

I might suspect that the engineer unplugged the power to the booster that runs your aerial, and never plugged it back in, in which case the above will fix things.

But perhaps I am doing the engineer an injustice, and it is something else.

Could it be you have a Stick, on one of the HDMI inputs to your set, and you need to switch back to broadcast TV?

Your description of the problem could be so many things - does the above narrow it down at all?

If not can you give us a bit more detail?

If we could see your setup it would almost certainly be easier; that’s not possible, but do you have a techie neighbour, friend or relative who can look at things, see what they can see?

If so, we can answer any residual questions they have, hopefully.

And if it turns out the engineer broke something, we can be sure you need to get him back to fix it Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi there was no hdmi cable with my eqpmt so none plugged in it is an oldish TV so not sure if it is WiFi friendly ?
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

How close is the Router to your Freeview device ?

If it is in close proximity, it may be causing interference with the TV signal, try moving the router into different positions in the room where it is located.

Also double check the aerial cable hasn't come loose when the Engineer visited your home.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

so when the WiFi router is plugged in there's no picture if I disconnect the router the TV works fine on the indoor aerial 

Maybe the TV is too old for WiFi ???

RoyB
Legend

Still weird Smiley Frustrated

So at the moment, you can be watching TV, you plug the router in (to a free mains socket? Without having to unplug something else to plug the router in?) and the picture on the TV goes away, the sound goes away, and all you are left with is a completely blank screen?

What’s on the other end of the HDMI cable?

Did you try @schnapps advice to move the router as far away from the TV aerial as possible?

And also make sure the cables aren’t running alongside one another, as this can disrupt things.

But please post the make and model of the TV.

Make should be on the front, model will be on a label on the back of the set. Describe everything on the label if you are not sure which bit is the model; maybe photograph it with a mobile phone camera and post it here, if you can do that.

Then I can look it up, and see what it does and doesn’t do, see what the remote looks like, tell you what to press.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I am away at the moment so can't do much from here my wife is trying to deal with it 

There wasn't a HDMI lead with the router the engineer told her he was just here to install the landline and WiFi and not to set up the TV ??

Many thanks for that Now TV 🤔

So am I supposed to plug in a hdmi lead !

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

So I am away at the moment so can't do much from here my wife is trying to deal with it 

There wasn't a HDMI lead with the router the engineer told her he was just here to install the landline and WiFi and not to set up the TV ??

Many thanks for that Now TV 🤔

So am I supposed to plug in a hdmi lead !

No, no need, and in fact better not to have any HDMI leads plugged into the TV at the moment, as it could confuse things.

The engineer was quite right; there should be no connection between what he did - brought and installed a new router for your new NowTV broadband service - and what has happened to your TV.

Unless something vital to the TV aerial setup got unplugged and left, or got disturbed, by what he did.

As regards the WiFi, every device in your house that uses WiFi will need its WiFi connection details replaced with the new details that come with the NowTV router; if your TV uses WiFi (we haven’t quite established yet if this is the case or not), then this is something that could affect the Smart side of the TV, if it has one. And the engineer should have explained that to your wife. Did he?

But it shouldn’t stop the aerial signal from still working. This is a set top aerial, yes? Not a roof or loft one? And does it come with or without a booster box?

My working hypothesis at the moment is that it had a booster box, which got unplugged to install the router, and never put back on again. Or failing that, @schnapps theory that the new router is radiating a signal that disrupts the signal in the aerial cable. And maybe both....

When will you be home to sort this, do you think?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

Reading @Anonymous User latter posts i think they are under the impression that the NowTV Hub Router is a streaming box and when they change input source on the TV to something like AV or HDMI (if their old TV supports it) the screen is blank which is what you would expect without a NowTV playback device connected to their television to watch with.

Then once they switch back to normal TV, everything is back to normal.

So i doubt it's WiFI interference at all effecting the TV stations (might be barking up the wrong tree though).

Like you said we need to know the make and model of the TV and what NowTV playback device the OP is using (unless they don't want to subscribe to the NowTV Passes and just want standard Freeview TV off their televsion set and the internet for surfing on things like PC, smartphones etc).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi thanks for suggestions I have recently bought a brand new indoor  flat aerial which is working perfectly when the WiFi is turned off so I don't think there is a problem with the aerial leads ?

I am using this to watch Freeview TV only

My wife will be home later today so will send me TV details I am guessing it is not WiFi friendly ?