cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Line disconnection when wet and windy outside

Hi all,

I have Now Broadband installed. I get roughly 35Mb/s when the weather is good but as soon as the wind and rain comes it deteriorates (my syslog shows disconnections every 20 mins or so).

This keeps happening. When the weather is fine, it works great (I am impressed with the service!). When the weather becomes windy and rainy, it disconnects like clockwork. I have happened have been looking at router status page when this happened, and watched the SNR go down and then line disconnect. You can also hear fuzz on the phone line when this happens.

I have been told on my many discussions with Now support that their line test will pick up intermittent faults on the line, and as it is showing as 'ok' the fault must be in my house.

I live in a very rural location with approx 500m to the cabinet with sections through trees.

Is there anything I can do here? Each time I call up I have to go through the motions of unplugging, resetting etc when its clearly not the issue. I have already had Openreach visit, who found a damp connection and replaced it but given it wasn't raining the line then working perfectly meant he then left. Its clearly still not right but not sure where to turn now! Ideally Openreach could have another look but I am not able to get to that stage.

thanks for your help.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. I have just ordered the B535 with 30 day unlimited data from Three as my speeds look ok on the test sim I have tried. Cellmapper suggests the Three mast is about 5 miles away and line of sight.

I also like the fact that Three apparently don't use CGNAT, reducing future headaches.

Unfortunately the Now Broadband systems indicate that my line is ok - I have just been through my logs and seen 24 disconnections so far today - not entirely sure how their systems think its ok. This is the trouble with an intermittent fault i guess.

Has anyone had any luck getting out of contract with a faulty line? Now Broadband tester says all is ok, so I will be liable for early termination charge. (on a 12 month contract)

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User @Geluk @gavs82008 @dr_necessitor 

something to keep an eye on going forward is Starlink. The beta units have gone out and a license granted for retail sales. Obviously the cost is prohibitive versus 4g but expect the costs to tumble as more people come on line.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/report-claims-first-uk-customers-to-receive-starlink-broadband.html