cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Line disconnection when wet and windy outside

Hi all,

I have Now Broadband installed. I get roughly 35Mb/s when the weather is good but as soon as the wind and rain comes it deteriorates (my syslog shows disconnections every 20 mins or so).

This keeps happening. When the weather is fine, it works great (I am impressed with the service!). When the weather becomes windy and rainy, it disconnects like clockwork. I have happened have been looking at router status page when this happened, and watched the SNR go down and then line disconnect. You can also hear fuzz on the phone line when this happens.

I have been told on my many discussions with Now support that their line test will pick up intermittent faults on the line, and as it is showing as 'ok' the fault must be in my house.

I live in a very rural location with approx 500m to the cabinet with sections through trees.

Is there anything I can do here? Each time I call up I have to go through the motions of unplugging, resetting etc when its clearly not the issue. I have already had Openreach visit, who found a damp connection and replaced it but given it wasn't raining the line then working perfectly meant he then left. Its clearly still not right but not sure where to turn now! Ideally Openreach could have another look but I am not able to get to that stage.

thanks for your help.

11 REPLIES 11
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have you always been a Now TV broadband customer at your property?

The reason I ask is that Sky, BT and Now TV share the same network thanks to OpenReach

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi and thanks for the reply. We moved in last October and Now Broadband is our first provider at the property. We had heard from previous occupants that the phoneline is dodgy though.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Are you in a position to “upgrade” the broadband to the super fibre?

You might find that the connection gets more stable with a “faster” service?

Its something you could try and argue with Now TV staff to see if it’s something that could help?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are already maxing out what the line can handle with the lower package. 35Mb sync generally has SNR about 5db (in dry weather) I don't think the higher package would correspond to higher speed. Is there any other benefit to upgrading? 

@Anonymous User Sounds very much like a physical fault on the (presumably overhead?) wire somewhere outside between where it enters/exits your house and the cabinet. If so, only Openreach can fix it. Upgrading to Super Fibre won’t fix it, you will likely just see relatively the same effect.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes agreed - this has been my conclusion. I guess it's just a matter of keep on calling support line in the hope that we get another engineer visit to address it. Tempted to cancel and move to a 4G connection that will at least be reliable.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Just wondering what service do you have with 4G? 

As that is a very sensible solution to go with a unlimited 4G SIM, plenty of routers out there that can take SIM cards. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. I get approx 10Mb/s 4G through a phone so I am sure a dedicated router/antenna could do better. Stormy weather today so connection unusable again.

Geluk
Expert 2

I used to be on O/Reach on long line ADSL, and I'd get in region of 2.5-3.3 mbps (0.9up), but suffered regular drops every evening, regular speed degradation to under 1mbps.

Numerous visits from them, including their Special fault investigating engineers (SFI's).

New master socket, new internal wiring from drop wire to socket, and new pair from nearest pole failed to cure.
As a 3 PAYG customer they had a very good deal on their Home Broadband (unlimited data); signed for 24 mths at around £17pm (inc tax),
and free Huawei B535 router.

Now getting 26/4 mbps which is miles better. Bought via Top Cashback, which generated £60 quid too 🙂

I can see their mast across the fields, but usually am connected on 3G; when router does pick up the 4G, upload speed is doubled, d/load only slightly, but the latency is terrible on this frequency for me is awful.