cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2206kasia
Advocate

Internet

No Internet since 3pm in Cumbernauld rang customer service and they don't know when is coming back 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@2206kasia 

No-one on here will know either as we are just customers like you. Never in my time of using the forum has broadband support posted on here. 

What you need to bear in mind is that NOW are completely reliant on OpenReach. So it’s up to OpenReach to provide updates for NOW to pass to you. 

Keep calling is all I can say.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@2206kasia 

No-one on here will know either as we are just customers like you. Never in my time of using the forum has broadband support posted on here. 

What you need to bear in mind is that NOW are completely reliant on OpenReach. So it’s up to OpenReach to provide updates for NOW to pass to you. 

Keep calling is all I can say.

2206kasia
Advocate

Thanks 

MichaelDee
Mentor

What a s**t show - I'll bet they won't be so quick to pay decent compensation for the loss of service. 

MichaelDee
Mentor

I know you don’t work for Now and my response wasn’t directed at you - I was just adding to everyone else’s frustration and disbelief that Now could ‘not know’ what was going on, could not provide any information or a point of contact for their ‘valued customers’ like US ! I’ve told Now that in the feedback survey as well. 
Thanks for your efforts though - much appreciated. MD

RoyB
Legend

@MichaelDee 

I don’t know what you do for a living, but I’m betting it doesn’t include technical support.

So once Now know there is a problem, they have to contact Openreach, as @gavs82008 describes, because it’s Openreach who maintain all the physical equipment and wiring linking Now to their customers. As they do for practically every ISP in the UK except Virgin.

So Openreach first have to go and find the fault. This will take x amount of time. Then they have to fix the fault. This will take y amount of time.

x depends on the staff available, the obscurity of the fault, and the amount of digging (sometimes literally!) they need to get to it and identify it.

y depends on the staff available, and whatever is needed to repair the fault - perhaps a simple cable splice, perhaps the need for a replacement electrical unit, which they may have readily to hand, or need to get shipped in from wherever Openreach keep spares in stock, or even from the manufacturer.

So when people ask me how long something will take to fix, which is simultaneously the most reasonable question to ask, and the most infuriating to be asked, I will tell them that it will be x plus y, and I will give them an update at the end of x, when the fault is found, and the best estimate of y that I have at that moment.

This latter is always a hostage to fortune 😢 And if it gets exceeded, I know I will be told “But you promised….” Which I didn’t of course.

Best hope that whoever gives you an answer to ‘How long will it take?’ has learned from long experience that it is always better to give the most pessimistic answer possible, so the customer is pleased it only took less than one day, rather than being incensed that it took over 12 hours 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
MichaelDee
Mentor

I couldn't get anywhere with Now or any information from them. How can they 'not know' when the service will be back on ? 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@MichaelDee 

Cause any and ALL information they get is from OpenReach since it's them that owns the network. Call the broadband team to find out if there is any new updates.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/auto-compensation