cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frankn
Mentor

Does this Openreach socket look right?

My NOW Broadband is scheduled to go live today and I set up my router kit as instructed. I have a master phone socket that's not pre-filtered so I went to plug in the provided Master Microfilter and the socket cover fell off (image 1 linked below). Behind the wall socket, there's nothing behind the socket directly where it gets plugged in, only the port on the right (image 2). On the inside of the socket cover, I can't tell if the part where the Master Microfilter plugs into the socket is connected with that right port (image 3). When everything is plugged in, I get an amber status light for internet on my router. I know it can take up to midnight to have my internet activated, but I'm not even sure if I have a working socket? I am new to the Openreach infrastructure.

https://imgur.com/a/skwx3Bb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
redchiz1
Champion 2

The only reason there would be any wiring connected to the faceplate is if there any extension sockets connected. Otherwise it is perfectly fine. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
redchiz1
Champion 2

Is the phoneline working? The socket looks fine, although the faceplate should be screwed on to stop it falling off. The socket on the right is the test socket, you can try connecting the filter directly to that. But as you say, best to wait until midnight before worrying too much. 

frankn
Mentor

How do I test the phone line? My broadband package includes the phone line rental but there is no hardware related to a phone line connection. Anyway, you're probably right, I'll keep waiting. I just wanted to make sure the fairly empty socket didn't raise any red flags.

RoyB
Legend

@frankn 

At a guess, the Openreach faceplate is two layers, and the apparently missing wiring, or possibly a PCB, is sandwiched between them.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
frankn
Mentor

Would the internet status light not even come on as amber if the wiring was completely missing in the socket? When I disconnect the broadband cable ends from either the router or the master filter, the status light goes off, so it is able to detect whether it is plugged in.

Jayach
Elite 3

Gosh, it does look mucky in that socket.

Perhaps the previous tenants has a pre-filtered face plate and decided to take it with them, but didn't have any spare screws to re-fit the original.

Personally I would just use the test socket, until you are sure the broadband works, and then try refitting the faceplate.

redchiz1
Champion 2

The only reason there would be any wiring connected to the faceplate is if there any extension sockets connected. Otherwise it is perfectly fine. 

frankn
Mentor

Thanks @redchiz1 I’m hoping that’s the case! Unfortunately, I cannot confirm yet as my activation date came and went yesterday with no change. I called this morning and they said it’s a “3rd party issue” and the surveyor team will contact Openreach and I will hear back in a few days…pretty disappointing after waiting since August 27 for the activation.

frankn
Mentor

Well my expectations were low so this feels like a miracle but my internet is now up and running now and much sooner than expected after this morning’s call. It seems like they were able to flip whatever switches on their end - unsure if Openreach got involved at all. So the socket wasn’t an issue after all

redchiz1
Champion 2

Good to hear, glad it's sorted.  🙂