cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ABale
Scholar

Advice on range extenders

Dear Community

I have a Now broadband modem, which provides good connections inside my house. But does not reach my garden office. 

I've tried splitting the networks. Improves things a bit but not enough. 

I wanted to get a range extender but every one I look at, the instruction say use the WPS button on the router as part of set up. And I cannot see a WPS button. 

Currently getting by with a TP link AV 1000 but have to connect each end by ethernet, to the modem at one end at the computer at the other. Means I cannot connect another device ie my phone, from my office. 

All help gratefully appreciated, including if there is a recommended extender. 

Regards

Alison 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayach
Elite 3

Tp-Link (and others) do a power line adapter with a Wi-Fi access point built in, so one of those will solve the problem, and work better than a range extender/booster.

But for the WPS button, does this help? 

Jayach_0-1684157782773.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Jayach
Elite 3

Tp-Link (and others) do a power line adapter with a Wi-Fi access point built in, so one of those will solve the problem, and work better than a range extender/booster.

But for the WPS button, does this help? 

Jayach_0-1684157782773.png

ABale
Scholar

Problem solved. Thank you very much.

chilli2
Elite

My advice is to Avoid Range Extenders/boosters as all they usually end up doing is repeating a poor signal , giving you bad wifi everywhere .

A power line adaptor with built in wifi as mentioned above will be better, a few other options would be

To replace the Now Router with something else

Run Ethernet cable form the now router to the garden office  - best option but involves physical cables and then a wifi access point/Ethernet switch at the other end

Use a wifi access point with the Now router

ABale
Scholar

Thank you. I've bought a powerline wifi kit, so let's see how that goes. 

ABale
Scholar

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ABale 

I have to agree with @chilli2 😀

the only range extension devices that I would really suggest are the newer mesh type devices where each device is in effect. It's own access point and all of the devices are grouped together as a single SSID with your devices being automatically handed off to the most appropriate mesh point as needed for Otherwise, one should avoid range extension devices like the plague. 

The problem with these new mesh systems is they can be rather expensive. Probably the most effective method that is not too expensive, is probably the powerline adapter with built-in Wi-Fi method as suggested above by @Jayach. Going for traditional range extension devices is only going to give you worse connectivity performance overall

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ABale
Scholar

Thank you. I now have a powerline adaptor with wifi. Let's see.

ABale
Scholar

RoyB
Legend

@ABale 

Ensure your garden office is run off the same mains as the house, or the PLAs won’t work. But assuming it is, I used a TPLINK PLA to PLA/WiFi access point very successfully when I had a garden office.

Initially, I made the mistake of buying PLAs without a WiFi end, and then I thought duh, how do I use my iPad out here? But Curry’s were kind, and let me swap them (same day) for a pair with a WiFi end.

That let me use the iPad, my printer, and the WiFi on my cellphone.

The one thing I never quite solved was using a DECT landline phone handset out there; it just about worked, so I never looked for a solution though I’m sure there is one.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.