cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Router questions

Hi all, 

Forgive me if it sounds like a stupid question here but we've had "Super Fibre" since early 2018 and we've started noticing our router isn't as good as it used to be (signal dropping, range not as good as previously) so we've been looking at new routers. 

We've got an ADSL filter from the socket currently going to the supplied router but if that's adsl, does that mean we're not actually getting fibre? I've done speed tests and we're averaging around 28-30 despite living in the city centre of Aberdeen.

When we were looking at routers, I realised a lot of the ones marked as for fibre only have an ethernet input in the back and not the one we use so I'm a little confused.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chilli2
Elite

The confusion is down to how broadband is allowed to be marketed in the UK .

This decision  means that copper services are allowed to be sold as Fibre if a fibre optic cable is used somewhere in the link

Now sell xDSL based services where the X is either A ( for asymmetric) or V for very high frequency.

Now sell VDSL  at two speeds , upto 40 and upto 80 ( odds on you wont get as high as this, between 18 and 25 and 50-60) and ADSL at upto 20 ( again odds on as high as 20 unachievable, usually about 11)

ADSL is a high frequency signal that comes from the exchange

VDSL is a higher frequency that comes from the green street cabinets you see dotted around

VDSL is known as Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC)

Fibre all the way is known as Fibre to the property, or premises (FTTP)

To use your own router/modem with Nows services and your package it needs to be a VDSL compatible, and in the case of Now/Sky it must be able to connect via option 61/Mer

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
chilli2
Elite

The confusion is down to how broadband is allowed to be marketed in the UK .

This decision  means that copper services are allowed to be sold as Fibre if a fibre optic cable is used somewhere in the link

Now sell xDSL based services where the X is either A ( for asymmetric) or V for very high frequency.

Now sell VDSL  at two speeds , upto 40 and upto 80 ( odds on you wont get as high as this, between 18 and 25 and 50-60) and ADSL at upto 20 ( again odds on as high as 20 unachievable, usually about 11)

ADSL is a high frequency signal that comes from the exchange

VDSL is a higher frequency that comes from the green street cabinets you see dotted around

VDSL is known as Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC)

Fibre all the way is known as Fibre to the property, or premises (FTTP)

To use your own router/modem with Nows services and your package it needs to be a VDSL compatible, and in the case of Now/Sky it must be able to connect via option 61/Mer

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think I'm with you. So with my current speeds I must be on VDSL coming from the cabinet rather than ADSL.

Would this model be a decent replacement then? We're only in a 2 bed flat (built about 20-25 years ago) with the connection point being at the opposite end of the flat from the main bedroom. - TP-Link AC2100 Wireless MU-MIMO VDSL/ADSL Modem Router, Dual-Band, Wi-Fi Speed Up To 2.1 Gbps, OneMe...

Jayach
Elite 3

That should work really well, setup should be a breeze, see this post: 

TP Link Archer V600 - NOW Community (nowtv.com)

chilli2
Elite

That shold work in theory, as far as i know the tp link VR series works with Now and Sky, you could ask on the TP link support site theres a thread here : https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/264802?page=1

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'll have a look through there, thanks very much for your help

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. This answered my question, which was going to be about using my own router with NOW's broadband service. Except I only have their ADSL (70mb) service as can't get the faster service right now.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User 

The 70Mbs service is VDSL (FTTC), ADSL tops out at approx. 20Mbs.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ahh okay. I obviously didn't fully read the "answer". So I should be able to use another router with my NOW BB service? Except I can't find a 'modem only' mode in the setup pages. Any ideas?

Jayach
Elite 3

The Now router doesn't have a modem mode, so you will need a replacement router that includes a modem, (or use a separate modem, but the combined unit is far easier)

For ease of setup it will need to be able to use Sky_MER authentication, most popular routers do now, including TP-Link and ASUS models.

Just look for routers that say they are DSL models, once you find one you like, you can ask on here and we should be able to confirm if it's suitable, or probably more important, say if it isn't.