cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS AC86U and a TD-W9970 config - bridge mode?

Hi, I've just come over from plusnet and I'm trying to understand how I should set up my modem and router. I understand that I am on VDSL and can choose sky vdsl or sky vdsl(mer). When I choose sky vdsl(mer) and enter the made up credentials such as abcdefgh@nowtv pass 1234567890abcdefgh with VLAN ID: 101 I can connect to my TP link wifi and have internet access.... so far so good.

I would like to use the Asus ac86u (latest merlin) though to do the routing and I have read various accounts about requiring the mac address spoofing etc. I have also read this is not needed just the pass "abcd1234@nowtv|abcd1234" in option 61? 

Should it be in bridge mode on the the tp-link to start - is it SKY vdsl or vdsl(mer)? 

@flavione seems to have got some good ideas here: ASUS DSL AC86u set up - NOW Community (nowtv.com)

"

section 802.1q should be enabled

VLAN ID should be set to 101, and 802.1P set to 0.

option 61 - you can configure it with a dummy value like    abcd1234@nowtv|abcd1234

The character '|' is important, the rest can be random, according to Sky.

DHCP query frequency should not be set to 'aggressive mode', see if there's some other value.

MTU set to 1500. "

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
flavione
Scholar

The TP-link configuration is wrong.
From the DSL WAN Interface, you should delete the pppoe_ interface, because from your screenshot you can clearly see the authentication has been done on the W9970, not by your ASUS.
Add a new interface, select VDSL, choose VID 101, and the mode bridge and save it.
Delete any other interface.
This one will setup the DSL connection and that's it.
After that, the ASUS will perform negotiation with Sky and get the IP address and do the routing.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Tinternetissue 

The section you tagged this in is relating to TV memberships not broadband. On the forum I know there are a few folk that are great at giving advice when it comes to broadband.

@chilli2 @Jayach able to give @Tinternetissue a helping hand?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

Okay thanks for the response @gavs82008 , I've made some progress today and have the router working using "abcd1234@nowtv|abcd1234" in option 61 and by setting the TP-link modem to sky vdsl (mer) and using  abcdefgh@nowtv pass 1234567890abcdefgh with VLAN ID: 101. SOme of this may be redundant but it's seems to be working okay through my asus router now at least. I did however try turning off wifi and dhcp on the tp-link which caused the internet to stop working entirely despite the asus router i thought doing the dhcp bit? I have now got the wifi off on the tp-link and dhcp still on and the asus still seems to work.

flavione
Scholar

@Tinternetissue wrote:

I would like to use the Asus ac86u (latest merlin) though to do the routing and I have read various accounts about requiring the mac address spoofing etc. I have also read this is not needed just the pass "abcd1234@nowtv|abcd1234" in option 61? 

Should it be in bridge mode on the the tp-link to start - is it SKY vdsl or vdsl(mer)? 

If you configure the W9970 in bridge mode, I don't think either Sky VDSL or Sky MER would be relevant.

In your case, the authentication would be done by the ASUS router. I believe Sky MER should be the best option anyway. After that, you must configure the ASUS router to use IPoE/DHCP and enable Option 61.
You don't need to clone the MAC address of a SKY router anymore, but the value you configure for Option 61 should follow the pattern which I described in my previous message.

Thanks for the help @flavione . The internet seems to be working but I am getting random dropouts and disconnections of devices which never happened previously on my asus. SHould I have both the bridge setting and MER setting in? If i disable the MER part the internet doesn't work yet I am definitely connected to the asus on my devices and not the dp-link?

Settings for the tp-link: https://ibb.co/XW31ZpN

Settings for the asus router: https://ibb.co/RH62MYq

Many thnaks.

Also not sure if this is offering any clues:

Test carried out on the tp link:

https://ibb.co/ZhQV0CL

flavione
Scholar

The TP-link configuration is wrong.
From the DSL WAN Interface, you should delete the pppoe_ interface, because from your screenshot you can clearly see the authentication has been done on the W9970, not by your ASUS.
Add a new interface, select VDSL, choose VID 101, and the mode bridge and save it.
Delete any other interface.
This one will setup the DSL connection and that's it.
After that, the ASUS will perform negotiation with Sky and get the IP address and do the routing.

Thank you this did it eventually - - it didn't work until I disabled the dhcp server on the tp-link modem (leaving the asus one on). Then had to make sure I had my dns settings correct by following this...

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/proper-dns-setting.85622/post-850498

Much appreciated @flavione 

flavione
Scholar

I'd recommend against setting DNS different from the ones from Sky, or at least not both. Sky has a massive cache infrastructure, meaning you would experience better service when accessing their cache rather than Akamai via the internet exchanges, especially if you don't live in London. If you use both DNS like 9.9.9.9, you'll always end up using servers in London, rather than the local ones setup by Sky. I would suggest configuring the first DNS with the IP address of the one from Sky and the second one a DNS from Google or Cisco. And obviously enable IPv6 on the ASUS.

Thanks @flavione but I prefer the security and privacy benefits of using a DNS service such as 9999 rather than using the likely data gathering DNS of an ISP - I realise it's not making me anonymous I just prefer the additional layer.