cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niznaznoo

Restricting wifi

Hi there,

Is it possible to put a timer on the wifi to switch off in the evening and back on in the morning other than just unplugging it?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@niznaznoo 

Nope, the NOW router is super basic. If you replace it with your own, you will be able to however.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
nst
Elite

There are far, far better routers and mesh networks out there.  Id never use a provided router but simply connect my own to it and use it as a modem.

My mesh of choice is the Eero from Amazon.

That said, just buy yourself a cheap smart plug less than £20 and you can then automate it turning on and off however you like.

RoyB
Legend

@nst 

Can a smart plug work like that?

Are the timer smarts in the plug itself, such that it doesn’t need the internet to work?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
nst
Elite

I dont condone the solution at all.

I once had friends who insisted on turning off their router at night - it caused all kinds of problems with certain things constantly disconnecting, update patches not automatically downloading etc etc etc but they were a little 'tin foil hat' and didnt want the radiation.

I pointed out to them that if they turn off their router.... then they are still being exposed to literally dozens of their neighbour's wifi signals and a quick search using the phones wifi proved this point.

Anyway back to the question - yeas the smart plug would still work as long as it is also Thread or bluetooth based and you have a device that acts as a thread border router - they are smart home devices that are designed to work even when the internet connection is down.

chilli2
Elite

Why do you want to run the wifi off in the evening?

answer that and you may be able to get some advice/help