cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action

Having purchased a NowTV monthly subscription I downloaded the NowTV player app for Windows 10 and followed the installer instructions.

When I select something to watch from the browser I get the following error:

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.  Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default App Settings page.

https://imgur.com/a/4RCKGZC

Of course, the installer should have set this up.  But still I went to the Defauly App Settings page to see if I could resolve it myself.  Alas, it is not at all obvious how this should be set up manually.

I have tried uninstalling the NowTV App and reinstalling but I experience exactly the same issue.

I have tried using another web browser to select the content, but I experience exactly the same issue.

How can this be resolved?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Alright, the update to this issue is: I give up and I've cancelled my membership.

Reason: I searched the forum and there's loads of people having these kinds of issues.  My conclusion is that NowTV's software is poor to the point of being completley unfit for purpose.  In fact, NowTV's software has been poor for as long as NowTV has been running.  So it's not like I can expect it to change any time soon - this is just how they choose to operate their service for some reason.

Good luck to anyone else struggling with NowTV's software.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Sorry that you have reached this stage. Similarly to @gavs82008 I never use a laptop for viewing and use a MacBook in any event.

It is fair to say that NOW TV exhibits various known niggles depending on device used and no matter how often we mention them they never do anything about it. 

Just going back to your cast issue: to and from which devices were you attempting to do this? Because despite all the known flaws I have to say that I generally have no problem viewing on a number of devices including smart LG TV, iPad, iPhone, Chromecast, Roku and Xbox One.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@redchiz1 @gavs82008 

Wow you absolutely did find the issue! So I went to C:\Users and there was indeed a useless file named "Brian".  It seemed to be some kind of log file related to Visual C++.  There were some other related files as well:

https://imgur.com/a/7bOWqRE

So I deleted these, and then when I went back to my Firefox settings the application settings changed from 'Brian' (default) to 'Use NowTV' (default)

https://imgur.com/a/bTX6Kyc

I have absolutely no idea how this issue is related to NowTV.  But clearly it is.

Again: garbage software.  I don't know what software engineers they have working there, but I suggest to the forum that they're not very good!

Thank you once again @redchiz1  and @gavs82008 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Awesome glad we (well more @redchiz1 ) got a working solution for you. 

One hopes when they launch the Amazon App Store in the UK for Windows 11 it will give us the NOW app like on the Fire stick!

@redchiz1 great spot with that thread 😎

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@redchiz1 

OK so the casting is done from an Android phone to an Nvidia Shield.  Unfortunately, even though the shield is an ideal host for NowTV, there is no native app for it.  I get a range of errors with the casting.  Sometimes it fails completely with the message "something's gone wrong if it persists contact support".  Other times it initially plays, but halts around 5 seconds later.  And then, on rare occasions, I've had it play without error.

Of course, it's only NowTV that has these issues.  I have all sorts of other apps that cast to the shield and there is never any trouble with those.

The issue is widespread though.  e.g. https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/NowTV-app-has-constant-issues-casting-from-ph...

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User OK, I don't see the Nvidia Shield amongst the list of supported devices I'm afraid.

Have you looked at the link I posted earlier regarding Win 10?