cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action

Having purchased a NowTV monthly subscription I downloaded the NowTV player app for Windows 10 and followed the installer instructions.

When I select something to watch from the browser I get the following error:

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.  Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default App Settings page.

https://imgur.com/a/4RCKGZC

Of course, the installer should have set this up.  But still I went to the Defauly App Settings page to see if I could resolve it myself.  Alas, it is not at all obvious how this should be set up manually.

I have tried uninstalling the NowTV App and reinstalling but I experience exactly the same issue.

I have tried using another web browser to select the content, but I experience exactly the same issue.

How can this be resolved?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
16 REPLIES 16
redchiz1
Champion 2

Just to confirm, you followed the instructions here?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/watching-now-on-windows

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes.  And the app installer ran, finished without reporting any problems, and I can even start the NowTV app if I want but of course it asks me to use the browser to pick my content, and then when I do that it gives me the error I described.  Regardless of which browser I use.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been into the app defaults settings but I can't figure out how this setting would be added.  There are no settings at all for NowTV in there, but I assume this would be a default for the browser instead.  So when the browser sees a link of a specific type, open it with the NowTV app.  Problem is, what information should I enter here for the link type?

This should all be done by the installer of course.  In my case, it is not.

redchiz1
Champion 2

OK, all I can suggest is that you contact NOW TV support directly using live chat here

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Are you using BitDefender?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008Definitely not using bit defender.  But I do use some pop-up blockers and things like this on my Firefox install.  Of course, I tried other browsers - Edge and Chrome - where I have the vanilla install with no extensions added at all.  Exact same problem.

I spent 1 hour on the chat with NowTV.  You know - jumping through all the hoops trying all the basic stuff that I'd obviously already tried so that we could arrive.... exactly at the same situation I was already in.  No resolution.

OK, I thought.  I'll play it on my phone and cast to the TV.  Well, it plays on the phone OK.  If I cast to the TV it plays for about 5 seconds and then inexplicably stops.  I cast to the TV all the time - nothing else has a problem, only Now TV.

So my conclusion: Now TV's software is pretty much garbage.  It might be the worst software I've had the displeasure of using.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So, continuing with NowTV's garbage software, I have definitely found the source of the problem.  The only trouble is I can't figure how to resolve it.

When I went into Firefox settings, there is a section for Applications and I can see that NowTV has set itself up to launch the application "Brian" when a NowTV link is received.  Obviously, there is no such application as "Brian" (in fact that is my name) and that's why this whole process is failing.

I tried to change this settings.  I could find no NowTV installation in the usual Program Files directory, so I followed the desktop shortcut which shows that NowTV is launched from the AppData directory (Which is pretty weird).
Anyway, I pointed Firefox at this executable:

https://imgur.com/a/79do4XM

But unfortunately, when I select something to watch from the browser all it does is launch the NowTV app with the "Let's go" message to select something to watch from the browser.  It doesn't play the content.

I would be interested to see what another forum member has entered in their browser settings here.

@redchiz1 @gavs82008 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Unfortunately I haven’t got any experience with the player on my laptop. 
My main viewing is my iPad, Amazon fire stick and Sony Bravia TV.

Only suggested BitDefender as I’ve seen other forum users specify this as a fault for the player not working as it should. 

Sorry I can’t be much more help bud. Hope you get it resolved in the end.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your time and help @gavs82008 .

But, even before this issue, my general opinion of NowTV was: poor software.  Now, obviously, my opinion has taken a further dive.  Even the casting from my phone is dodgy, where as no other apps have an issue with this.  Only NowTV.

I fear that the only acceptable solution will be to cancel my subscription.  Because NowTV's software has been rubbish since for ever.  We're probably going back about 10 years.  I don't see them suddenly realising that this is a problem now.

Anyway let's see.

Cheers!