cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Terrible Device Limit

I've complained about this device limit before when I bought an AppleTV, only to find out I couldnt use NOWTV on it because of this device limit, last week my girlfriend accidently removed our Apple TV from the device list to watch the F1 on her laptop and now I'm in the same situation.  That was our main device so now we can't watch NOWTV in the living room.

This device limit is absolutely rediculous, we are just a family of two but in our home we have 2 TVs, a PC, 2 tablets, 2 phones, a laptop, Apple TV, PS4 and I also would like to use NOWTV at work occasionally on one of 2 computers, having to manage these devices is pain enough but making the time frame a month is just appauling, Netflix doesn't have this, the 2 stream limit seems like it would do more than enough to limit excessive use of the service.  Why punish normal users for fear that some rogues will abuse the service?

Streaming services are supposed to be about convenience, at this rate it would be more convenient for me to just wait a bit and buy the shows I want on iTunes. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

I have allowed you an extra change this month as an exception to our device policy to get you back up and running.

Thanks

Andy

View solution in original post

79 REPLIES 79
Legend 5
Legend 5

How are you watching Now on your TVs?  Is either or both an LG Smart TV?  Or do you have Now TV Boxes.  I noticed you have Apple TV and a PS4 are these on the same TV or different TVs.  

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm often one of the first to pick out NowTv's negative points but i think the device limit is quite fair. There has to be a limit in my opinion (what ever that limit may be). Imagine if i bought 20 boxes (or more) hooked them all up to my account and handed them out to friends and family (or even sold them). You could then add more devices such as pc's, tablets etc.

Most providers like Sky's main serivce you have to pay extra to use additonal so can't even stream from more than one without an additional cost and i believe even the Sky Go service has a 4 device limit too.

That being said maybe it would be an option to allow more devices to be added than 4, say double it but keep the two stream limit. That would help in situations like yours be also stop any abuse to the system. I think if you could add upto 8 devices with the option of swapping out one per month that would cover most busy households.

I wonder though, if you have two tv's and there are two people in your house why the need to use the computer nd ps4? (unless its a laptop and your using outside the house but then you could just use your phone or a tablet and same at work?). Obviously i dont know your exact setup/layout but i just cant imagine a situation where i would need to have all those devices attached 😛

Edit: I could be wrong here, but something that came ot mind after i posted. On the laptop if you use the browser and not the App i dont think it counts as a device.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User
You are paying for bandwith not total usage.  With a 2 stream limit it doesn't matter, hand it out to as many people as you want, you'll only ever have a maximum of 2 streams running 24/7, something I could do at home should I chose to.  There is a reason that Netflix and Amazon don't have device limits, its actually pointless and only inconveniences customers.

No a browser does need to be registered, I can't use NOWTV at work on the browser without registering.

Basically it wants to limit me to my 2 TVs at home and both mine and gf tablet, that arbitrary limit flies in the face of modern trends of convenience and device independence, I can make a document in word and pick it up on any device I own, but I can't watch a show and pick it up on another device with NOWTV because of "reasons".  It also means we would be inconvenienced if we decided to upgrade 2 of those devices in one month, something not unheard of, screw us if we get another TV or I decide to get a laptop.

If NOWTV wants to put up this pointless barrier then that's their decision, but frankly all it does it stop me using the service at my own convenience, I just end up using Netflix instead, so when it comes time to check the finances and I have to justify spending £80 or so a year on it, it'll have a harder time making the cut.

@ukbobboy
Why pay an extra £7 a month just for that?  She does use the Sports package for the F1 which I don't but she still uses the entertainment one from time to time when she travels with work.

@Anonymous User 
Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Netflix also have simular restirctions in place.

The number of devices on which you may simultaneously watch depends on your chosen subscription plan and is specified on the "Your Account" page.

https://help.netflix.com/legal/termsofuse?locale=en&docType=termsofuse

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User The key word there is simultaneously.

Netflix limits you to 2 streams and infinite devices.
NOWTV limit you to 2 streams and 4 devices.

I don't have a problem with 2 streams, that's very sensible, I have a problem with the 4 device limit.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’ve brought 2 now t v box’s why can’t I use them for now t v not happy 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I’ve brought 2 now t v box’s why can’t I use them for now t v not happy 

You can 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Hi Nan

You know, you can use up to four devices on one Now TV account and two devices simultaneously, i.e. at the same time.

The only problem that happens to some app, iphone/android and smart TV users is that when they get software updates those updates can look to the Now TV system like a new device and push users over the 4-device limit. But a quick call to Now TV's help chat usually solves this common problem.

I'd just like to ask, where did you get the idea that you could not use your two Now TV boxes?

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

Device limit! Where do i start!

I have 2 phones and 2 chromecast devices added. Message pops up saying i have reached the limit! Cant wath anything even on my own device which i am paying monthly for. Please reset the limit as we are on holiday with very upset doughter who cant wath frozen or moana. If its not done immediately you will have to deal with her! I wouldnt try if i were you!