cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Terrible Device Limit

I've complained about this device limit before when I bought an AppleTV, only to find out I couldnt use NOWTV on it because of this device limit, last week my girlfriend accidently removed our Apple TV from the device list to watch the F1 on her laptop and now I'm in the same situation.  That was our main device so now we can't watch NOWTV in the living room.

This device limit is absolutely rediculous, we are just a family of two but in our home we have 2 TVs, a PC, 2 tablets, 2 phones, a laptop, Apple TV, PS4 and I also would like to use NOWTV at work occasionally on one of 2 computers, having to manage these devices is pain enough but making the time frame a month is just appauling, Netflix doesn't have this, the 2 stream limit seems like it would do more than enough to limit excessive use of the service.  Why punish normal users for fear that some rogues will abuse the service?

Streaming services are supposed to be about convenience, at this rate it would be more convenient for me to just wait a bit and buy the shows I want on iTunes. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

I have allowed you an extra change this month as an exception to our device policy to get you back up and running.

Thanks

Andy

View solution in original post

79 REPLIES 79
ukbobboy
Legend

@PaulNormanUK 

Hey Paul

Yeah, it is a pain but how else are users without Now TV or Roku devices gonna currently use Now's services?

The only way I guess this problem, of self multiplying devices, could be cured is if the Now system could recognise the MAC address of each device being used, rather than monitoring the ever changing IP address.

Nevertheless, whatever solution Now TV come up with to fix this situation, I hope they come up with it quickly otherwise they will loose more users. 

UK Bob

PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

@ukbobboy wrote:

The only way I guess this problem, of self multiplying devices, could be cured is if the Now system could recognise the MAC address of each device being used, rather than monitoring the ever changing IP address.

It can't be anything to do with IP address changes. My external IP address never changes, neither does any of my local IP addresses that are assigned to my devices by my router. I'm guessing that when you "Activate" a device such as a Youview box, a certificate or config file is stored on the device and everytime a firmware update is applied, this certificate or config file is deleted. As you point out above, idealy Now TV should be identify the hardware via MAC address, Serial number or both so that when a factory reset is preformed or a firmware update applied a user can continue to view NOW TV on that device without hitting any device limits.

Why do we even have device limits though? Just limit the streams, problem solved!

PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User 

Hi Kita

You said, "Thing is I haven't even moved or changed devices from the last time I was using it.  Go figure?"

I bet you've had a software updates on one or more of the devices you are using, simply because whenever a non-Now TV device, except Roku's, receive an update the Now TV systems sees it as another (new) device, hence your devices seem to multiply on their own.

The only thing you can do is contact Now TV's help chat and get them to reset your devices, and yes, you will probably have to do this every time your devices get software updates.

UK Bob

I have reported this to Youview as it happens on their platform too! It's under investigation so hopefully Youview will be able to work with NOW TV so that this issue doesn't occure when they update the software on their boxes in the future. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I signed up to the special offer to use the Sky Sports Mobile app through Now TV, then tried to use it, but realised I'd need to use my phone, so I removed one ipad from my devices so I could add it. However, removing that device has used up my device changes so I can't add my phone!? Surely a change should allow one removal and one to be added?!

Is there any chance this could be corrected?  I signed up to the service so I could watch gaames like Man United vs Liverpool and Man City vs Chelsea, both on today, but it's telling me to wait until March?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I signed up to the special offer to use the Sky Sports Mobile app through Now TV, then tried to use it, but realised I'd need to use my phone, so I removed one ipad from my devices so I could add it. However, removing that device has used up my device changes so I can't add my phone!? Surely a change should allow one removal and one to be added?!

A good reason to have a separate account for the mobile pass.  

Currently I have three accounts 

1. Entertainment
  2. Sports
  3. Mobile Sports

In theory, I can watch 5 separate streams on 18 different devices!

In reaity, I just have one device for mobile sport and the others for Rokus, Now TV Sticks and three iPads of varying sizes which just about cover the needs of the five of us in the house.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Complely agree with this. massive pain in the rear.. living in a house with 3 kids, and many devices.

I'd be happy to even pay a nominal amount for a handfull more devices, and still keep the streaming at 2..

as it stands the kids tend to use netflix more anyway, because, well... theres better content on at the minute! 

Sky arent making it easy for me to keep justify using the service tbh.. and tends to only get used around here when we cant find anything we want to watch on Netflix, iPlayer and Amazon..

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree with the device limit being unnecessary as it is hard to use it on my own multiple devices I have a smart tv, xbox, phone, tablet, now tv stick, laptop and also my girlfriend has her laptop she uses as well. its all well and good if your just using it at home but for me its a pain as I travel around a lot for work and don't always take the same devices with me to use as it all depending on the duration or location of the job. I believe Netflix has a better option by having separate account and use up to four at a time this is a fair amount and majority of families would be happy with this. if this isn't possible then there should at least be a option to add more devices maybe even at a slight one off cost that way there is at least a way to work round this problem and both supplier and customer are happy with. This being said I think it should be a fair price if it does ever become a reality just a few £ would be plenty.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi literally I’m paying for something that deleted 3 off my devices and I want them back,literally I’ve only got it on my now tv box and Xbox but I came home one night from work is there any chance you can sort me some two slots because it’s deleted both of them thank u 

Rich

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is anyone going to answer this 😡😡

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User This is a user forum, not NowTV support.  You'll need to go through the Help section to get hold of somebody at NowTV to deal with your issue:

https://help.nowtv.com/