cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaron
Advocate

Cancelling membership/ still charged?

I currently have a discounted 6 month membership which at the time of buying it I thought it meant I pay one payment for the entire 6 months, it wasn’t until later that I realised it was discounted for every individual month. However I want to cancel my membership because I only wanted to watch one show, but I want to know whether I’ll still be charged the remainder of the 6 months (if the the membership will also continue to be active until it ends). The membership says it ends in July and based on what it said in my emails it seemed to say I could only cancel it after July, which is what makes me think I’m stuck paying for the rest of membership when I have no use for the service anymore. And this only happened because the subscription was unclear, being worded in a way that made it seem as I said, like I was paying for the entire six months in one discounted payment. 

7 REPLIES 7
RoyB
Legend

@Aaron 

Now subscriptions normally run from month to month, and if you cancel, end at the next renewal date, and you are charged no further.

Try cancelling it, and see if that happens.

Or maybe tell us what the membership is for, and quote the text in the email that is giving you the impression that this is a fixed duration subscription, and we can see if we read it like that?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Aaron 

Did you take up the 6 month offer from the NOW website and was it a combined Entertainment & Cinema discounted offer ?

Where NOW tend to usually offer "Cancel Anytime" deals, but over the last couple of months have started "Minimum term" contracts for certain advertised deals where you are not allowed to cancel during the minimum term period which you accepted when taking up the offer.

See example screen shot below for a current offer on the NOW website which shows £11.99 a month for 6 months and has a minimum term of 6 months that you can't cancel during the term period.

Screenshot_2023-04-12-12-55-16.png

Aaron
Advocate

I have the entertainment membership, and it does say 6 month minimum term plan. So this means I can only cancel it at the end of the 6 months? I didn’t understand any of this when I got the membership, the way it was worded really made me think it was for the entire 6 months. 

RoyB
Legend

@Aaron 

Do you by any chance have, or can access, details of the offer, with the ambiguous wording?

If so, it may be possible to challenge the charges that Now is making.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Aaron
Advocate

I can’t find anything about it in my emails. Looking at the current available offer it explicitly says 6 month minimum now, but that is definitely not what it said when I purchased the offer. Loosely it said “£7.99 for 6 months” and I read through it a few times to double check before purchase and I didn’t see anything about the minimum plan. I mean maybe for most people it would’ve been obvious it meant £7.99 by the month, but it wasn’t to me, being autistic I often misinterpret things like this. I don’t really want to make it into a *thing* but I just wish it had been more clearly explained when I purchased the offer so I could’ve instead gotten a month or a couple of months so I could’ve finished the show, instead of having to pay for the 6 months I don’t need. 

Dannybiy1981
Advocate

Tell your bank you have lost your bank card. They will issue you a new one with a different long number. Now to won’t be able to take payment then.

RoyB
Legend

@Dannybiy1981 wrote:

Tell your bank you have lost your bank card. They will issue you a new one with a different long number. Now to won’t be able to take payment then.

@Dannybiy1981 

Er, no.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-7661313/Can-online-firms-really-new-card-details...