cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamaas

possible to get a fixed ip address on now broadband? If so how to set it up?

Is it possible to get a fixed ip address for now broadband as I have with my current supplier?  If so, how does one set it up?  Thx. J

6 REPLIES 6
RoyB
Legend

@jamaas 

No it isn’t. Some ISPs supply these on request, either free or for an extra fee, but Now is not among them.

There are workarounds, but it depends what you want it for. If you can share that with us, we may be able to help further, or it may be that this will have you ruling out Now Broadband 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
jamaas

@RoyB 

Thanks for that.  I just want to be able to login and control my router remotely.  As far as I know, to get to it I need to know the ip address.  Do you know of another way?  Thx. J

RoyB
Legend

@jamaas 

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/cqpkyi/how_do_i_remote_desktop_with_dynamic_ip/

So a lot of inconvenience, and a lot of risk.

I’ve managed for years without needing to access my router remotely, and the one time I installed server software, for FTP, I got blackhats from around the globe hammering my firewall. So I sent it the files I wanted, shut it down afterwards damn quick, and ramped up Malwarebytes to see if anything I hadn’t noticed had got through.

So nothing I’d ever leave open.

But at the risk of falling down a hall of mirrors here, why do you want to manage your router remotely? Especially as a lot of the things we take for granted with routers can’t be accomplished on the rather limited Now router; it can’t even be put in modem mode so you can hang a decent router off the back of it, so it’s double-NATting at best 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@jamaas wrote:

Thanks for that.  I just want to be able to login and control my router remotely. 

I would think very few ISP routers would allow you to log in remotely. (irrespective of static I.P.)

It's huge security risk.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

I imagine that if you can RDP into a desktop you have set up for the purpose, you can start a browser session on it and get into your router that way.

But the RDP is an ongoing risk, and tinkering with the browser you are coming in through is another risk, that of sawing off the branch that you, and everybody else on your home network, are sitting on.

The lack of a static IP is something you can get round with Dynamic DNS.

But it’s all a bit Jurassic Park: “Just because you could do it, it doesn't mean you should do it”

Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach 

I imagine that if you can RDP into a desktop you have set up for the purpose, you can start a browser session on it and get into your router that way.

You certainly could, but doing so would mean you have some understanding of what you are doing.

Having a setting in the router (as many used to have) allowing remote login, that anyone can simply enable, is a recipe for disaster.