cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wifi Signal Strength Mobile Devices 3 Phones Tested

Do I have a faulty router/modem ?

So I have Iphone SE 2020, LG G6 & a Razer Phone 2 all with lots of Memory & Ram, 

I'm using the wifi from NowTV Super Fibre when I'm next to the box I have full 5 bar signal, 

the issue for me is that when I go to the kitchen or the bedroom my signal drops to 2 bars also bearing in mind I have a flat and the rooms are only 1-2m apart with plasterboard partitions. 

Can anyone Help?

DJTas

19 REPLIES 19
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@redchiz1 

Here’s an article about it.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/24ghz-5ghz-band-steering/

The author suggests that once you have split the bands, devices won’t be able to switch from one to the other for themselves; I’m not sure that is true,

Definitely true. If you spit the bands, they have to have different SSID's.

Joining the bands, simply means giving them the same SSID.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

I can’t try this at home, because my BT Hub won’t even let me split the bands, though earlier BT Hubs did. Something about split bands not playing nice with BT Complete WiFi discs because ‘BT Complete Wi-Fi system combines the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks under one name, using band-steering to direct connecting clients to the best network for their capabilities and range. The system will also push clients to the strongest disc to maintain performance as you roam through your house’.

So the BT router and discs will do the band steering here, not the remote devices.

But IIRC from my earlier NetGear Nighthawk, where I had split bands with different SSIDs, this iPad, which knew both SSIDs, and their (same) password, would switch from one to the other, just like it will switch to NHS WiFi when I am at the doctor’s, well out of the range of the house.

So yes, separate SSIDs, but it didn’t stop the iPad switching between them. As in the article I quoted, though the author doesn’t seem to have devices that can hunt for the best WiFi they can access, and lock onto it, so he talks about switching manually.

But to the substantive point; do you think I am right that Now’s advice to split the bands, without doing anything else, won’t do a blind bit of good?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach 

But IIRC from my earlier NetGear Nighthawk, where I had split bands with different SSIDs, this iPad, which knew both SSIDs, and their (same) password, would switch from one to the other, just like it will switch to NHS WiFi when I am at the doctor’s, well out of the range of the house.

So yes, separate SSIDs, but it didn’t stop the iPad switching between them

Yes, but that is not really band steering, that is switching. Most devices can know multiple SSIDs and switch to another if they lose the current one. Why Band Steering Means Better Wifi (eyenetworks.no)

@RoyB wrote:

But to the substantive point; do you think I am right that Now’s advice to split the bands, without doing anything else, won’t do a blind bit of good?

Absolutely, if you are not aware of why you are doing it, it might make things worse.

It might improve streaming on a TV but make a tablet worse whist you are walking around with it.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Yes, I know that; sorry if I didn’t make myself clear.

Switching isn’t band steering almost by definition, as the only way the second WiFi link would come into play is if the first one fell off to zero.

Band steering requires both sources of WiFi to be available together, so the device, or the router, can make the choice between them.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach I have never seen that advice given as routers tend to come set up like that as default out of the box. And devices managing the switching is often the problem.

Anyway, while this is turning out to be an interesting polemic, I wonder if @Naomi1983 may give us a bit of feedback on improvements, or otherwise? 

Jayach
Elite 3

Most routers do now come with the bands joined, simply because that is the best way to handle mobiles devices, which may need to switch band more than stationary ones.

I believe the "mantra" of splitting the bands, which is so often repeated on here, is mostly a waste of time. But yes, it would be nice to get some feedback on if it works for some people.

Most of the Wi-Fi problems would go away, if only Now would provide a better router.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach wrote:

But yes, it would be nice to get some feedback on if it works for some people.

It works for me. That's the only feedback I can give you. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

I was going to say to @Jayach that I could think of a couple of scenarios where splitting the bands could produce improvements; e.g. if a 5GHz device is running on congested 2.4GHz, then moving it to the 5GHz Band may make it faster. And equally, if a 5GHz Device is running on the edge of, or beyond, the limits of 5GHz coverage, then moving it to the 2.4GHz band may bring it into range.

So I’m not saying it can’t be done. But I think it’s a crapshoot whether those things will happen just from splitting the bands, without manually tweaking which band at least a few of those devices are using.

So I’m sure it should be possible to amplify your feedback.

When you split the bands - did you leave one SSID as it was, or did you rename both SSIDs?

Did you then do nothing else, or did you tweak the settings for some devices?

Maybe used a tool like WiFi Analyzer to move the 2.4GHz band to a less congested channel?

Any other changes?

Then as to ‘works’:-

Did splitting the bands make your WiFi faster?

Or increase its range?

Or both?

I ask because an ounce of practical experience, such as you describe, is worth a pound of theorising 😛

chilli2
Elite

My understanding is that 2.4Ghz will go further , but can be a little slower ( the speed shouldnt be that noticable) and the band is more liable to cioongestion.

5Ghz is faster, isnt as prone to congestion but doesnt go as far so at a distance, or with things in the way ( ie walls) it will drop off faster than 2.4

Some devices may like to stick on 5Ghz even if the 2.4 signal is better so by splitting the bands you can effictvly force something onto 5Ghz or 2.4 which may give a better perceived performance

This may be of use - i posted this in another thread a while ago.....

There are a few things you can do to improve things, as youve probably guessed the now router doesnt have a good reputation with regards to wifi - if it works for you then thats great, if not then its not the end of the world

First of all to see if its the wifi on the router, or the connection you should try a speediest while connected via Ethernet and not wifi

If thats OK, then its the wifi, there are a few steps you can take here.

First of all in the router settings separate the bands the now router puts out two frequencies for wifi 2.4ghz and 5ghz . 5 is faster than 2.4 and less prone to congestion and/ or interference - however it doesnt go as far . 2.4 can be more congested is a fraction slower but goes further .

for most situations 2.4Ghz will do , so once you have separated the bands you can ensure that devices connect to the 2.4 signal .

Still no luck?

Next you should look at the router position- while its not always that easy as your limited to the location of the phone socket, mains plugs etc a slight move can make a difference, keep it away from things like TV's microwaves, fish tanks etc, if you can dont put it in or on a window ledge

Another thing that can have an effect is the building itself, old thick stone walls dont help wtih wifi signals, and likewise modern foil backed insulation doesnt help either

Once you have tried everything with the now router, and you are sure that its the wifi thats the issue then its time to start at looking to getting hold of your own kit .

one thing that i would avoid is wifi boosters ( put rubbish wifi in get rubbish wifi out)

So here are a few options:

Wireless access point/router this plugs into the now router via Ethernet and effectively provides a secondary wifi signal, the advantage here is that its location is only limited by the Ethernet cable you need to connect it up.

Homeplug set up with wifi built in, these are basically large plugs, one plugs into the mains and has an ethernet socket that you plug into the router, the other you can plug in almost anywhere else typically if purchased in a pack the second unit has wifi built in and this then provides a wifi signal fro that location .

the only real downside with these things is that performance can be affected by how the house is wired

If your previous router provided a good signal and you still have it its also possible to use that as a wifi access point in conjunction with the now box.

However if you dont have it, and it still performed well then you could look at getting your own all in one router and put the now router back in its box ( dont check it away you may need it if theres a fault)

one thing to be aware of is that not all routers work with Now or Sky and likewise not all models from the same manufacturer may work it will need to have option 61 or MER log in available, as well as a built in modem - the give away on this is that it will have an RJ 45 jack on the back to connect to a phone socket - often marketed for phone line conections

As far as i know some devices from TP link, D link, Asus work and you will need to consult the relevant manufacturers to find out.- most have support forums like this one for Now where you can ask/research

I use a TP link Archer VR2800 and i discovered how to set that up via the tp link dsl modems and routers support forum

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

Yes indeed, ensure which signal devices connect to. A necessary further step, after splitting the bands, that the Now Help is entirely silent upon.