cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aheath
Advocate

0.5mb Download, No line issues

Hi,

I've had an issue for the past few days where my download speed is horrendous - below 0.5 mb to the point where I can barely browse the web, let alone stream TV. The upload is fine and hits 12mb-ish. 

I contacted the support team who say there are no issues on my line from what they can see and my setup seems fine. I've tried all the usual fixes like restarting the router. They say it must be a device issue on my end.

I have tested the problem on wired and wireless connection on 5 different devices and all suffer this issue. I am assuming it's a router issue but I've no idea how to fix it. If anyone has suggestions that would be great as nowtv support don't seem to have any other ideas.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Aheath 

Worth calling the team again, there might not be any issues with your property but it’s possible the fault is out-width your service cables.

Again could a fault with the router. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

If your getting those speeds wired, there is something very wrong. You should be able to log in to the router and see what your sync speed is.

Broadband download and upload speeds explained (nowtv.com)

Aheath
Advocate

The router shows my sync speed (which is the router - exchange right?) As 61mb downstream, which sounds great but the issue is between my now hub and devices with wired and wireless getting the same 0.5mb or so download. 

My connection has been perfect for months until yesterday. We have added no new devices and the house on the side where our hub is located is empty at the minute so I don't think interference is an issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I’m having exact same issue. Support have told me it could be the router and want me to pay £39 for a new one. Also I’m out of contract so if I sign up for a new contract they’ll give me one for free. All sounds very suspect 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User If you are out of contract, I can understand why they feel you should pay for a replacement, but it seems very penny-pinching on their part. It should be in their interest to keep you as a customer.

Personally I doubt it is the router, and if you have had good service up till now, perhaps taking out a new contract which gives you a new router, but leaves then with having to cure the actual fault is not a bad option.

The alternative is to go somewhere else, but that could be "out of the frying pan into the fire".

If you speak to "retentions" or what ever they call the department who deal with leaving, they may be able to offer some form of compromise.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for replying, I’ve tried different cables, a different filter, changed the WiFi password and only connected one device at a time via cable and via wireless and the speed is the same no matter what. 
Router status says we should be getting 69mbps but we get 0.05 but then 17mbps upload. 

It’s causing a real issue now as I work from home and need the internet all day. 
was considering going to Curry’s to get a new router but it seems it’s virtually impossible to set it up on NowTV Broadband? 
I’ve emailled back asking them to send me a new router as I can’t be waiting much longer, my VoIP phones are off, CCTV is off, Burglar Alarm is off, kids can’t connect to Netflix or PS4… nightmare 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can use any Sky router on the Now service so see if anyone you know has one you could try, if that works it is definitely the Now hub that is faulty.

I believe most of the ASUS and TP-Link modem-routers now have a setting for Now/Sky (it won't say Now, just Sky, but they are the same.)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Aheath wrote:

The router shows my sync speed (which is the router - exchange right?) As 61mb downstream,

Actually it is the speed between you and the street cabinet.

If we are talking hardwired, then other than a router fault (which to be honest is unlikely), it has to be something is hogging the bandwidth, Try disconnecting everything other than one device from the router and try the speed test again. If it is still low, disconnect that device and try another. If it is still low it does really leave the router as the only probably cause. However nothing is certain with these kind of faults, until you change the suspect device and the fault goes away.