cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamieTN
Advocate

Switching from BT but unconvinced of broadband quality

My BT contract is up in a few weeks, and one way or another I'm leaving them. NOW's deals look appealing, price-wise, but my concern is that as I live in a large single-storey dwelling, and my workspace is at the opposite end to my hub and TV, I may have issues with broadband where I work. BT supplied me with a booster hub that I placed in the centre of the flat, and that solved the issue. Can NOW offer anything similar? This would be a dealbreaker for me if I can't get online anywhere in the building.

3 REPLIES 3
Jayach
Elite 3

If you are unable to get FTTP where you live, Now should give same broadband connection as BT (or indeed any ISP using FTTC)

However, yes the Now router will not suit you, and they supply nothing other the the router. (no boosters etc)

But if you get your own router that will overcome that problem, and most routers now have a connection setting for Sky, so should be easy to set-up. Both TP-Link and ASUS router are popular.

RoyB
Legend

@jamieTN 

@Jayach has left you a cryptic clue that Now do not offer FTTP 😛

If you have FTTP now, going back to FTTC would be a retrograde step. If you have FTTP in your area, even if you don’t have it now, going with Now will rule it out, unless and until Now start offering it.

And I would not be so sanguine as Jayach about a third-party router reaching your work area, if the current BT one doesn’t, unless it’s one of their older designs.

But as long as you have the same mains supply in your work area as you do for where the router will be, you can try a third party router, and if it doesn’t reach well enough, get a pair of PLAs, with the far one WiFi enabled, which will give you a strong WiFi signal where you work. About £60.

This will work much better than a repeater, which is at best halfway to where you work, whereas the PLA solution would surface right in the centre of your work area,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

@jamieTNyou have failed to mention something important, that is what package/speeds are you getting with your un named BT deal?

Full fibre? G.fast? FTTC? what package??

what speeds?