cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Smart stick can't find 5G Wifi

Hi,

I've recently got a NowTV Smart Stick (April 2020) with HD and Voice Search. This is working with 2.4G wifi from the Post Office - however the Smart Stick cannot find the 5G option offered by the PO router.

I've read some threads on here and have changed the 5G SSID name but with no luck, even putting the TV and Stick right next to the router.

Any ideas? Can this stick actually receive 5G?

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

From my understanding the NowTV Stick can use the 5ghz band A frequency spectrum between channels 36 to around the channel 48 region (might be wrong though because i am no IT or Networking person).

My Router automatically scans out the best 5ghz channel for me and in my case it usually seems to be channel 36, though i live in a small populated area where there is no high internet wifi traffic.

Maybe look at the Free WiFi Analyser Apps that you can get for on your smartphone or tablet from the mobile Apps Store to sniff out the best channel number to try between 36 & 48 in your home setup.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
chilli2
Elite

As far as i know the only channels that work on Roku hardware ( who manufactured the Now sticks/boxes with restricted software for Now)  are: 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161, and 165.

You will need to change your router/wifi access point settings to a compatible channel i would recommend using a free phone app such as wifi analyzer to see what is on what channel and perform a few other things such as checking wifi strength.