cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_AL_
Advocate

QOS | Limit 1 device to a fixed max download speed (so my other devices can still work)

Hi. I have the NowTV Hub2. I need to know where/how to set a maximum download speed. Not being able to do this is making it very difficult to work from home and that's putting my job at risk. Without a job, I can't pay the nice people at NowTV for my broadband.

Currently one device on the network (Xbox) will try and use 99% of the bandwidth when downloading games/updates/etc... and all my other devices have to share the remaining 1% of the bandwidth.

I need to set the NowTVHub2 so that it limits the Xbox  to (e.g.) a maximum of 75% of the available bandwidth.

Can this be done with the router you provide? If yes, please tell me how to find/set it.

If it can not be done with the NTVH2 router - what do you suggest I try next?

Thanks in advance. 

_AL_

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chilli2
Elite 2

make sure you get one thats compatable with Nows/Skys MER log in system

you need a DSL router/modem ( usually called just a router) that can plug into a phone line and can use MER/option 61 log ins.

TP link and  D-link should have models that will work ,  take a look at their own user forums/help pages before you buy

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
chilli2
Elite 2

No one on here provides a router ( unless they are selling on ebay) this is a user to user forum, fortunately some users are willing to help other people.

The NowHub2 is an ncredibly basic bit of kit, if QOS is possible on it then the firmware that is on it will prevent it if you cant find it.

in short if you cant find QOS settings on the thing then they are not there.

Now broadband is, in my opinion a poor choice if you rely on home working and are unable to have a back up plan if it goes down and even more so if you want to use any features that you would expect on a modern router, from using open DNS/google NS to QOS and more

The good news is you can use a third party router, i use a tp link router - archer vr2800  now discontinued buy a more upto date model /other brand if going down that route

_AL_
Advocate

@chilli2 - Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for my confusion around NowTV's involvement (or absence) in this forum.

OK. If the NowTV Hub2 doesn't &/or can't offer this function then I will look into getting a third party one which will. 

I appreciate your help on this. Nice one.

chilli2
Elite 2

make sure you get one thats compatable with Nows/Skys MER log in system

you need a DSL router/modem ( usually called just a router) that can plug into a phone line and can use MER/option 61 log ins.

TP link and  D-link should have models that will work ,  take a look at their own user forums/help pages before you buy