cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helptoni

Limit internet access

I would like to limit the broadband for my daughters laptop. Ideally I'd like the Internet to automatically cut off at a certain time. This facility is available with other providers, can I set this up with NowTV? 

2 REPLIES 2
Tompo
Scholar 2

@Helptoni 

Yes this is possible with the NOW Hub two, however there is not a simple parental control page in the router settings so you will need to change the appropriate settings manually. Broadly speaking you will need to perform the following steps:

1. Allocate your daughter's laptop a static IP address (and any other devices you wish to apply the block to).

2. Create a rule in the firewall settings to block outbound services to that IP address, using either ALLOW by schedule (best if your blocked period crosses midnight) or BLOCK by schedule (best if blocked period doesn't cross midnight).

3. Adjust the firewall schedule for when you want the rules created above to apply (i.e. either when to ALLOW or when to BLOCK).

Any device IP addresses not specified in the firewall rules created above will continue to have normal internet access. Note you can only have one schedule so you couldn't for instance set one device to be blocked from 9pm and another to be blocked from 11pm.

These settings are defined by NOW as 'advanced' so happy to provide more detail if needed.

chilli2
Elite

Its not a facility thats provided by the provider(ISP) its a function on the router .

Problem 1:

The router provided by Now is basic/very basic/primitive/a pile of.... and does not have this functionality .

Problem 2: is the child old enough to figure out any pass locks/pass code etc and able to reconfigure a router ?

If problem 2 isnt an issue then you either need to source a router with parental controls/access controls or use a separate wifi access point linked to a timer/smart plug

The neatest solution would be a router, you will need one that is compatable with Now and/or Skys network.

I use a TP link Archer VR2800 - other brands will also work, as will other cheaper /newer routers, i can only speak for the kit i have, however the VR2800 does have parental /access controls that can disable devices and stop them from accessing the internet at certain times, and via a phone app

There is a user interface test drive for that router here: https://emulator.tp-link.com/VR2800V1_Emulator_2017042605/index.htm

and other TP link routers here https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/emulator/

TP link call access control "parental controls"

- note these  are test drives of the user interface and will not alter your router