cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ben4444
Mentor

Evening throttling of service

It seems like I'm being throttled in the evenings now. ping is increasing and download speeds dropping compared to daytime tests. Streaming services have to constantly buffer and have become unwatchable.

I thought NowTv  said they didn't do that, or has that policy changed?

11 REPLIES 11
redchiz1
Champion 2

No ISP to my knowledge throttles services and they publish statements to that effect. It may be local congestion on your wireless connections, so do look at ways that you may combat that. Otherwise, get in touch with customer services directly by calling 0330 332 3050. Nobody from NOW will respond on here. 

RoyB
Legend

@Ben4444 

Did you get this sorted?

If still having issues, download an app called WiFi Analyzer to an Android device, and see what it tells you about the WiFi environment you are in, first by day, and then again in the evening.

This app will show any neighbour’s WiFi as well as your own, so you can see any contention, which you may be able to alleviate by moving the channel setting in your router to a less congested one.

And let us know if this improves things or not 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Ben4444
Mentor

No, I didn't sort it. The device is hardwired so not a wifi issue. I guess they do throttle as it is only evening times the issue occurs. 

Do NowTV have a number to call to get this sorted or do they read the messages here and see there's an issue? I've checked on Google and it's the usual nonsense to try not to let you speak to a human..

RoyB
Legend

@Ben4444 

Now are proud of not throttling. For something hardwired, then, it sounds like a bottleneck at the cabinet, the exchange, or somewhere on the route back to Now.

But this is a user to user Community; the only Now staff who ever read these postings or reply to them are Community Admins, and then usually only on Community matters. It’s my ongoing complaint about the Community that nothing and nobody sets the expectations of posters like yourself, nor filters out and deals with the issues that only Now technical and admin staffers can deal with.

And yes, there are phone numbers, but only for Broadband issues; issues with Now streaming services, the Memberships as they are called, are handled by a service called Live Chat.

All you Broadband users have been given the number(s) you can call, somewhere in the bumf from Now, but apparently nobody can find them.

The numbers are also in the Help, as are the links to Live Chat, which also seem to present difficulties in finding them.

Some people do successfully stumble on a link to Live Chat, only to be seduced by the siren call of ‘Get Help Quicker’, which turns out to be merely a ‘bot that will lead them on a merry dance through the Help, taking them miles away from the Live Chat they so nearly used, and proving that AI still has a long long way to go 😢

But as for phone numbers for Broadband help, provided by humans, try one of these after 8am:

0330 041 2518, 0330 041 2462, 0800 759 1213 or 0330 332 3050

And please have some sympathy for the helpers on this Community. A collective brain the size of a planet, and we are reduced to mere signposts 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Well said @RoyB, although you too seem to have missed the fact that phone numbers have already been provided by some of us previously from this collective brain, as has the poster.  😕

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

I didn’t miss you posting it, but @Ben4444 seems to have done so. Your subsequent message, and @Jayach‘s came in while I was composing my phone number love bombing screed, always a hazard here 😛

Jayach
Elite 3

You can contact Now for broadband problems on the number in the link below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Ben4444 

Do you read the messages here? I posted a number earlier and now you have a link with another number. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Ben4444 

Three users have posted many numbers that you can call broadband support.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help