cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gondorff
Advocate

Ethernet not working

When I switched broadband provider to Now I simply unplugged the ethernet from the old router and plugged into the NowTV Hub 2 and it doesn't work.  The cable goes to an Ethernet switch with a variety of devices none of which works.  Note everything on wireless works fine, and I can access the router config over wireless.  To get the ethernet working I have tried:

• Checking the link state lights on both ends of the cable - they are all on and flashing as I'd expect on both NowTV hub 2 and ethernet switch
  • Switching the NowTV Hub 2 from Gigabit to Fast ethernet (even though my switch is gig)
  • Manually entering a correct IP address in one end device (making sure it doesn't clash with any wireless device IP addresses) - when I do this, I can't even ping the router from that device over ethernet (i.e. from device to switch to router)

I haven't tried connecting a device directly to the hub as that won't help me even if it does work - the Ethernet switch is in the next room.  I can't use wireless only as some devices don't have wifi.  

Help greatly appreciated

11 REPLIES 11
Gondorff
Advocate

Update:  the device with the manual IP address DOES appear in the 'attached devices' list in the NowTV Hub 2 to my surprise, but I still can't ping the hub from it, or get to any websites etc.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Gondorff 

Have you disabled Energy Efficient Ethernet in the Hub 2 webpage settings.

Is your Ethernet Switch an unmanaged switched or a managed type switch ?

Can't help much with the managed versions which is a bit too complex for me with my lack of IT knowledge.

Though I have an unmanaged 8 port switch which runs fine on NOW Broadband.

If it's a unmanaged switch then perhaps try a power down on your Ethernet switch box and disconnect / reconnect your Ethernet cables.

Because you also mentioned no access to websites I would also go into your NOW online account under Settings and play around with the NOW Broadband Buddy feature.

If you have a managed Ethernet switch then perhaps other forum members on here can offer some more useful advice.

Gondorff
Advocate

Thanks Schnapps.  Energy efficient is already disabled, switch is unmanaged.  Good to know you've made a switch work as I wondered if it might be mac address restrictions on the router but obviously not.  Websites are fine from devices on WiFi - this is an Ethernet connectivity, or DHCP problem I think,

Jayach
Elite 3

@Gondorff wrote:

When I switched broadband provider to Now I simply unplugged the ethernet from the old router and plugged into the NowTV Hub 2 and it doesn't work.

The Now hub doesn't work on Ethernet, it is a VDSL service. It sounds like you were previously on FTTP (that would be an Ethernet connection)

Now connects into a BT/Openreach phone socket.

You may have purchased the wrong service.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

In the situation described - WiFi connections work fine, but Ethernet connections don’t - it can’t be the case that @Gondorff has purchased the wrong service, so best not to alarm them accordingly 😱

However, Now may have sent a faulty router, or the cable from the router to the switch may have gone faulty, or the switch may have gone faulty.

@Gondorff, have you tried all the ports on the router, to see if you have just one faulty one? If so, or when you have, then next, you need to test by making a direct connection to an Ethernet device, even if that means temporarily moving a device to where the router is; hopefully you have something small you can try with (I have Hue and Hive controllers, say). Or a laptop with its WiFi switched off at a pinch; though ideally it should be an Ethernet device you had working before.

If that does not work, on a direct device connection on a different Ethernet cable, then you need to get Now to send you a new router. If it does work, then keep the device there, get the switch up near the router on a short Ethernet cable, and try the device working from the switch.

This will then tell you if the problem is with the switch or the cable.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Gondorff
Advocate

Thanks RoyB.  Faulty router is possible I guess.  I have indeed tried both ports on the router with the same result.  Fair point, I have not yet tried a direct connection and I should, to rule out the cable from router to switch (it's within tolerances but quite long all the same) and I do have laptops.  Thanks again.

Gondorff
Advocate

You've misunderstood me Jayach, I'm talking about Lan side connectivity.

Jayach
Elite 3

Sorry @Gondorff , it wasn't obvious you were referring to the Lan connection.

When you say, everything works over Wi-fi, do you mean you are able to access the web, so it is just Ethernet connections to the Now router that don't work?

What if you take the switch out of the equation and connect an ethernet device direct to the router?

chilli2
Elite 2

I vaguely remember something about high speed Ethernet settings on the now router, and that turning it off can resolve some Ethernet issues