cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FTTP-WTF
Advocate

Am I eligible for FTTP or not?

Hello,

I am currently waiting for my Super Fibre Broadband to go live today. I am with Sky, so currently still active there until I switch over routers.

I was able to order and set up and account for Super Fibre, thinking that is what they can offer me.

However, I have just checked my address on the BT Wholesale Broadband checker and it actually says

"FTTP is not available."

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com

Surely now would not offer me a broadband package that I am not actually able to use??

Getting very worried now.....

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21
RoyB
Legend

@Grumpyfrog 

This bears out what @chilli2 says above:-.

https://virtual1.com/news/openreach-stop-sell-plans

except in this jargon-laden sphere, it’s WLR (Wholesale Line Rental) that will ‘copper stop sell’ In September. And despite my digging, I still don’t quite know what this term means,

Is WLR how Now operate with Openreach, or what?

But if it means what I think it means, it means that Now won’t be able to sell its FTTC services in any area where FTTP is available after September 2023. Though it won’t stop Now continuing to provide services over FTTC in those areas for existing customers on existing lines,

There are probably exceptions to these rules, of course, but I don’t know what they are,

My working view is that if you are in an area with FTTP, you would be crazy to go with an FTTC service, from Now or anybody else. Though price might come into it, of course.

So what’s the future for Now broadband? Start offering FTTP? They use Sky’s network, which offers FTTP, so no technical reasons not to, only commercial ones; Sky keeping Now as the poor relation?

If they don’t offer FTTP, then they will be left with a dwindling body of FTTC customers, which they either support as long as it’s economic, or have taken over by Sky Broadband.

And it will be hard to attract and retain staff to support legacy FTTC broadband, when the cutting edge will be in FTTP; indeed, I wouldn’t be surprised if the effects of this aren’t being felt already 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Grumpyfrog 

This bears out what @chilli2 says above:-.

https://virtual1.com/news/openreach-stop-sell-plans

except in this jargon-laden sphere, it’s WLR (Wholesale Line Rental) that will ‘copper stop sell’ In September. And despite my digging, I still don’t quite know what this term means,

Is WLR how Now operate with Openreach, or what?

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) WLR means the ISP takes both the broadband and analogue phone service from Openreach.

The alternative, which is what they all seem (except Now) to use now is SOGEA (Single Order Generic Ethernet Access) which means there is no phone service, and it's cheaper.

The ISP can then sell it on to us, with or without a VoIP phone service, which the ISP supplies.

Jayach
Elite 3

Or am I confusing WLR (Wholesale line rental) 

Wholesale line rental - Wikipedia

With WBC (Wholesale Broadband Connect)

Wholesale Broadband Connect - Products & services | BT Wholesale

I think I may be.

They don't make it easy.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

And what about Wholesale Broadband Managed Connect (WBMC)?

https://www.btwholesale.com/products-and-services/data/broadband/wholesale-broadband-managed-connect...

So something is stopping in September, and copper is the CU-lprit but we don’t know exactly what 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

I believe what is stopping in September is new access to the PSTN (public switched telephone network), so Now will have to start providing broadband only or get a new router.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach 

I do hope not, my father in law has a NOW package and he doesn't use his broadband, although it is handy when we visit him as a family. But it does include a fully inclusive phone package which he relies on heavily, as do many of his generation (he's 92). At a price that trashes the competition. Surely people like him won't just be left high and dry?

Jayach
Elite 3

I did say new access to the PTSN, as long as he continues with Now there should be no problem. Changing ISP after that date will require VoIP (except in a rare few exceptions specified by Openreach)

The whole of the PSTN will be switched off at the end of December 2025, they are just trying to make sure there aren't many people still on it by then.

chilli2
Elite

@RoyB  When i left plusnet i could have gone with a FTTP provider , my area was live at the time and the various bits were on the poles and i could have placed an order simple as that.

However the price that Now had on offer was good, and FTTC was, and still is more than enough for my needs, so paying more for a faster service wasnt worth it as FTTC was, and still is reliable, fast enough and at a better price point, while speed isnt the only benefit of FTTP if FTTC is good enough then why pay more, and go through the hassle of having to arrange an openreach installer to fit an ONT etc .

As for openreach jargon, as far as i know WLR, or whole sale line rental is the product openreach sell to providers such as Sky, Now, plusnet, talk talk etc and line refers to the physical cable that carries the service such as Voice or XDSL internet

Grumpyfrog
Scholar

@RoyB 

@chilli2 

@Jayach 

What prompted my initial question was that I spoke to an engineer connecting a fibre cable from the recently laid fibre street cable to neighbours house. He told me that we would all have to be connected by the end of the year as support for fttc/copper would be withdrawn. ???

I changed from Plusnet to NOW about 3 years ago because of  Now being more price competitive. A very good move as Now have not yet asked for a price increase  (shhh) in that time, as well as providing a steady service. 

I am content with a speed of around 36mbps and the best price around that I am aware of.

Interesting times.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Grumpyfrog wrote:

@RoyB 

@chilli2 

@Jayach 

What prompted my initial question was that I spoke to an engineer connecting a fibre cable from the recently laid fibre street cable to neighbours house. He told me that we would all have to be connected by the end of the year as support for fttc/copper would be withdrawn. ???

I think he was being a bit economical with the truth.

As I understand it, even in a copper stop sell area. anyone on copper can continue to use it, as long as they stay with the same ISP. (until Openreach decide they will no longer support it)

However some areas will have the copper option removed before others, so maybe you are in one of those.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

Openreach Add 51 UK Areas for Copper Phone to Fibre Switch - Tranche 11 - ISPreview UK

The ISP I'm with (Vodafone) are requiring subscribers to go to FTTP if it is available even if they are just renewing their contracts. I suspect that is because it is cheaper for them, rather than because they have to.