cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FTTP-WTF
Advocate

Am I eligible for FTTP or not?

Hello,

I am currently waiting for my Super Fibre Broadband to go live today. I am with Sky, so currently still active there until I switch over routers.

I was able to order and set up and account for Super Fibre, thinking that is what they can offer me.

However, I have just checked my address on the BT Wholesale Broadband checker and it actually says

"FTTP is not available."

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com

Surely now would not offer me a broadband package that I am not actually able to use??

Getting very worried now.....

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21
Saint1976
Elite 3

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@FTTP-WTF 

Interesting. From my understanding NOW have never offered or shown intention to offer FTTP, although if they were to, then they would seriously need to revamp or introduce a new router. 

Best to call the broadband team to find out what’s going on. My guess is an error perhaps.

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/now-broadband-calls/switching-to-now-broadband-or-moving-home

NOW Broadband Members can call us 8am–8pm, 7 days a week.

03300 412518
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
FTTP-WTF
Advocate

Thank you!

I am not versed in broadband jargon, so I had no idea FTTC was another thing to look out for.

The BT Wholesale checker did not mention FTTC, so when I saw FTTP not available I got worried.

Will I still get improved download/upload speeds?

Guess time will tell! Anything is cheaper than what Sky was wanting to charge me....

redchiz1
Champion 2

So-called Super Fibre is a FTTC product, NOW do not offer any FTTP products. 

chilli2
Elite

There are currently 6 ways to get broadband delivered:

1: Copper cable: this is used to deliver Dial up ( odds on you wont use that) ADSL, and VDSL

2: Full Fibre or fibre to the home : this uses fibre optic cable to your property for this a little white box will be installed into your home, it has a mains plug ( mains powered) and a little 9 usually ) white lead going into it it will have LED lights on as well

3: Cable TV this is where a cable Tv operator provides a service they will lay their own cables to your property this can be full fibre or copper ( typically called Co-ax)

4: Mobile phone network using a device such as a mifi or a mobile router, all the main mobile phone companies offer "home broadband" however it usually costs a little more and can suffer at peak times

5: Wi-Max usually found in rural areas and Hull , a bit like wifi on steriods but you will need a special antenna ( looks like mini satellite dish) and a separate router to convert the signal into standard wifi your devices can use, is often more expensive and can suffer from slowdowns if a lot of people are using it at the same time - ie peak times

6: Satelite, such as Starlink  - expensive to very expensive but if thats all you can get then its a choice of that or nothing.

Nows services currently run entirely over the openreach copper network, where they use

ADSl upto 20 down, but more likely 10 on average

VDSL upto 40 down and 10 up but more likely 25/6

VDSL upto 80 down and 20 up but more likely 60ish down and 12 up

If you are moving from a VDSL based service from Sky (aka FTTC) and its the same base product your speeds will be roughly the same but the price should be lower.

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 @FTTP-WTF 

I think that’s a misnomer going the other way 😢

ADSL is copper all the way from your Master Socket to the exchange. (It’s probably fibre from there over the rest of the telephone network back to Now, but they can’t call it fibre just because of that).

VDSL is copper from your Master Socket to the local cabinet, and then fibre from there to the exchange, for your broadband service. ISPs are currently allowed to call this a fibre service, even though it’s only FTTC. Your voice service is still copper all the way to the exchange,

Full Fibre Is fibre all the way from the exchange to your property. FTTP. You don’t have a Master Socket: the fibre terminates at an ONT (Optical Network Terminal, because fibre is optical) very close to your router, where it goes to the router over an Ethernet cable. You also don’t have a voice service as such, though you can elect to use VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol), either by buying VOIP phones, or having a VOIP adaptor for your existing phones.

Now don’t sell FTTP, though Sky do; it’s a bit of an enduring mystery why not, as they use Sky’s network anyway, and the market for FTTC is shrinking daily, both technically and commercially.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

What you get from Now broadband will be the same as the equivalent service from Sky, but with a much inferior router.

If you are happy to resolve any problems from the router, it is a good way to save some money.

Grumpyfrog
Scholar

Bearing all the above in mind, anyone know, or be willing to guess, what direction NOW  will take re. fttp?

Will they survive by ignoring it?

chilli2
Elite

@GrumpyfrogNo, Now will not survive by ignoring FTTP .

The migration process involves a transition period where openreach declare certain areas linked to certain exchanges to be "copper stop sell" where it is not possible to order a copper based service, such as FTTC or ADSL or even analogue phone, meaning that the services that Now use will slowly dwindle in availability to nothing.

If you already have a copper based service, for now nothing will change - even if, like me, your area is a copper stop sell area , your current services will continue "as is" however if you want to change ISP in a copper stop sell your only choice is FTTP

Its my understanding ( correct m if wrong) that there will be a national stop sell by the end of September 2023 which, unless Now offer FTTP products will mean that Now will be unable to gain new customers.

The only exception will be in areas that dont have FTTP, and even there things will change when the old  analogue phone service is switched off (2025?) , and your phone service will be over the internet with a phone plugging into a router, or an adaptor even in the remaining non FTTP areas this voice service can run over ADSL or VDSL/FTTC