cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Live Channel Judder (Roku)

Roku Streaming Stick+ 8.1.0, Now TV 4.6 (Build 733)

Ever since the recent Now TV app update on Roku I’ve experienced excessive juddering on the live channels, but only the non-Sky named ones (Gold, Syfy.etc), Sky One.etc seem to be perfectly fine.

It’s exceptionally noticeable on Gold and Syfy, to the point of being unwatchable.

So far I’ve tried:

• App reinstall / update
• Full factory reset
• Removed all post processing from TV and Receiver
• Tried “Auto-adjust display refresh rate” on Roku

Router is sat in the same room and has excellent communication with the Roku, happily plays 4K YouTube with zero issues.

No luck anywhere.

Oddly enough - catchup on NowTV of the very same programmes (for instance Dad’s Army on Gold Live vs Catchup) works perfectly, but the live channel is juddering like mad.

Anyone experiencing the same issue or have any ideas? Only having 4 out of 11 live channels is very disappointing at the moment!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Just another update for you all. 

We've pushed this same update to the other channels on the NOW TV Service which include: 

Cartoon Network
Boomerang
Nickelodeon
NickToons
NickJr.
Cartoonito
Comedy Central
FOX
Discovery
MTV
Nat Geo Wild 

We appreciate your feedback so far, if you could continue to let us know how you're getting on it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Karl

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Sky News App - Live = a stuttering mess!

50Hz for reference.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Also just checking out the BBC iPlayer App and so far the BBC 1 and BBC 2 channels watching live freezes after about 10 seconds of playing where the sound continues to play fine Smiley Mad

Going to check out a few more Apps on the Roku Plus Stick, then i think i might fire off an email to Roku Support about all these bugs since firmware 8.1.0 was rolled out Smiley Mad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

Also just checking out the BBC iPlayer App and so far the BBC 1 and BBC 2 channels watching live freezes after about 10 seconds of playing where the sound continues to play fine Smiley Mad

Going to check out a few more Apps on the Roku Plus Stick, then i think i might fire off an email to Roku Support about all these bugs since firmware 8.1.0 was rolled out Smiley Mad

I have reported this to the BBC through their iplayer help pages. They have so far been unable to replicate it because they don't have a stick+ 

I also presume they don't have the latest software on their Roku devices. Maybe more reports of the issue could push them to seek a solution.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/contact

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The issues on the apps seem to be connected to live playback.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Just noticed your post on the Roku US forum and like you have reported i am getting the same identical issue when attempting to watch an Amazon UHD video, where it continually loads and eventually a message pops up on the screen saying "streaming delay" back to menu or keep waiting Smiley Mad

The Amazon UHD videos was working perfectly fine before the new Roku firmware update where i watched an episode of The Grand Tour in UHD this week on my Roku Stick Plus.

Looks to me that all these bugs are pointing to the Roku firmware 8.1.0 release where i am going to gather more information and undertake more testing before contacting Roku Support. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ah now that is interesting...

I tend to approach the Roku forums with caution considering the size of the user base and variations across markets!

Hmmm, this certainly is pointing towards the Roku firmware it seems!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

Just noticed your post on the Roku US forum and like you have reported i am getting the same identical issue when attempting to watch an Amazon UHD video, where it continually loads and eventually a message pops up on the screen saying "streaming delay" back to menu or keep waiting Smiley Mad

The Amazon UHD videos was working perfectly fine before the new Roku firmware update where i watched an episode of The Grand Tour in UHD this week on my Roku Stick Plus.

Looks to me that all these bugs are pointing to the Roku firmware 8.1.0 release where i am going to gather more information and undertake more testing before contacting Roku Support. 

I don't currently have an Amazon sub as I tend to dip in and out of Amazon depending on what's available for me to watch. Since the Roku 8.1 update however it takes an age for my UHD/HDR programmes to load on Netflix. They play ok but on occasion I have to back out and try again to get the programmes to load up.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

The BBC appear to have fixed the iplayer issue going by my testing this evening.

As for NowTV and the Sky News app, guess what, NO change Smiley Sad

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’ve had a brief exchange of emails with customer service to try and at least get some eyes on our problem - I don’t hold out much hope considering the silence we’ve been met with so far.

But you never know..
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Good show. It can't do any harm going down another avenue. It's gone beyond frustrating now Smiley Sad