cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dumblepatch
First Poster

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pethead65 Expert 5
Expert 5

Re: Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi @Dumblepatch

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

Please click on Thanks if I've helped.
I'm a Community Contributor not staff, therefore I can help with issues about the service, but not account related issues.
If it solves the problem, please mark it as an accepted solution to help other members.
Thanks!
0 Thanks
132 Replies
pethead65 Expert 5
Expert 5

Hi @Dumblepatch

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

Please click on Thanks if I've helped.
I'm a Community Contributor not staff, therefore I can help with issues about the service, but not account related issues.
If it solves the problem, please mark it as an accepted solution to help other members.
Thanks!
0 Thanks
Popeye13
Contributor 2

Noticed that myself too earlier when trying to watch the Bellew fight.

My connection is one of the fastest fibre connections available. Yet im having issues with streaming on NowTV but i have no problems streaming BBC iPlayer live channels, which are also 720p and Netflix which is 1080p.

But NowTV drops in rates and sometimes cuts off entirely. And i can tell you why: Its nothing to do with poor connection, it has everything to do with the poor server capacity Sky has and something they still haven't increased! 

Oh and i hardwire my box to my router, makes no difference! 

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Popeye13,

Thanks for posting.

There's some troubleshooting I'd like you to try, as this is a suggestion for your individual issue I'll be sending this to you via email.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

0 Thanks
Popeye13
Contributor 2

@Simon-J wrote:

Hi @Popeye13,

Thanks for posting.

There's some troubleshooting I'd like you to try, as this is a suggestion for your individual issue I'll be sending this to you via email.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Okay, send away and many thanks

0 Thanks
Popeye13
Contributor 2

Hi.

I did as the email suggested. The options available was already set on 'automatic'. I did reselect that and option and closed the window.

@Simon-J wrote:

Hi @Popeye13,

Thanks for posting.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

0 Thanks
cooper557
Contributor 1

Having the exact problem myself. Goes from normal quality to a pixelatted picture where unable to read subtitiles constantly, only happens on NowTV programmes.
SeeMoreDigital Champion 5
Champion 5

@cooper557 wrote:
Having the exact problem myself. Goes from normal quality to a pixelatted picture where unable to read subtitiles constantly, only happens on NowTV programmes.

@cooper557

I'm confused... What channels are you watching? I ask because currently none of the NOW TV channels offer subtitles!

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer, like you! •

LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 65UH770V | Software: 04.31.10 | webOS •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.27.0 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

0 Thanks
cooper557
Contributor 1

Sky Atlantic Gomarah
0 Thanks
SeeMoreDigital Champion 5
Champion 5

@cooper557 wrote:
Sky Atlantic Gomarah

@cooper557,

What make/model of device are you using to access the NOW TV service?

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer, like you! •

LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 65UH770V | Software: 04.31.10 | webOS •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.27.0 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

0 Thanks