cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
UncleZen
Scholar 2

I had a web chat with support. I thought it would be a pointless excersise and it was.

They, as expected, told me that my internet connection was slow. If thats the case how come other HD streaming apps such as iplayer and itvhub work perfectly?. The support guy even tried to tell me he knew exaclty what my internet speed was. What he was quoting me was the speed that the stream was coming to me as measured by their system. Thats just a measurement of throughput, not my internet speed (I dont think he knew the difference).

I measure my internet speed regularly and thinkbroadband capture the results for me, today its 12mbs down (adsl) so not too shabby.

The next time I use now tv I will do the following:

1. change the password on my wifi, so no connected devices can use it

2. measure download speed (using a hard wired computer)

3. reconfigure nowtv box for new password

4. watch the Grand Prix

5. measure download speed after

6. revert the password

present the evidence if its still blocky and blurry.

It'll probably be a pointless excercise. But its worth a try.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What a load of ole cobblers I can’t even watch a movie is this company for real? 
They can’t say my internet is slow I’m with BT super super fibre (as I’m a gamer) my internet speed ranges between 70 to 80 Nasa has speeds like that lol but could NASA actually sort out the s*@t quality of  Now tv you know what I don’t think so I think NOW TV streaming is one of those mysteries of life!!!

SORT IT OUT NOW TV 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hiya.

I'm having the same problem. Most of the time watching football. It's all blurred... a waste of time. Can you suggest any fixes please? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I watch via my PC and I've been having this problem since getting mobile broadband (10mb/s). When WIRED to my PC I get the issue every 10 seconds or so. But when I use chromecast via my monitor, and cast from my mobile using WIRELESS, it works perfectly. It is NOT a bandwidth issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don’t think it is a speed issue either as it works perfectly via my Apple TV which is connected to the same Samsung tv, it’s just the Samsung app that is always dropping picture quality. It is fine on the Roku stick too ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI,

I am new to this help forum and too be honest find it so confusing! My now TV has been working perfectly well and as of two days ago the picture quality is horrendously pixelated and terrible quality. I have re booted my internet loads and turned it off and on again. My TV service thing says it is good signal ! I dont know what to do 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Welcome to the Help Forum.

Sorry to hear that your experiencing a poor picture quality.

The most likely cause of poor quality would be linked to the speeds of your Internet service that your playout device is receiving.

What playout device are you using ? Who is your Internet provider ? What speed do you get when you run a speedtest via www.speedtest.net 

Thanks

Andy

Popeye13
Scholar 2

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

Welcome to the Help Forum.

Sorry to hear that your experiencing a poor picture quality.

The most likely cause of poor quality would be linked to the speeds of your Internet service that your playout device is receiving.

What playout device are you using ? Who is your Internet provider ? What speed do you get when you run a speedtest via www.speedtest.net 

Thanks

Andy

It is nothing but a Sky issue!

Why is that so hard for NowTV/Sky to accept here?

People have no problems using other streaming services such as BBC iPlayer, the BT Sport app or netflix, all services that offer HD streaming that demand a good constant speed!

NowTV offers SD quality live streams (apart from sports which as 720p HD) and yet still goes all over the place in terms of quality!

I recently got a Netflix sub, watching 1080p content and guess what - Not a single moment of buffering, pixelation, poor quality or anything else to drop the quality of my enjoyment of what i was watching! yet, NowTV can't seem to deliver a simple basic stream without issues and you immediately question the users BB providers' speed instead of yourselves despite the constant complaints on this thread alone!

It is Sky, not the BB!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Simon,

I have the same issue on LG TV connected via Wireless. Would you mind sending me the same trouble shooting steps?

Thanks in advance,
Wimo

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I've been watching Now TV via Roku absolutely fine for the last couple of years and now suddenly I'm experiencing this 'poor picture quality' that seems to drop off when it feels like it. I don't have a wired 'option' but am on super fast fibre - all others channels are 100% fine except Now TV...please advise or send me the troubleshooting options.

Many thanks