cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

App for Nvidia Shield TV

The Nvidia Shield TV has apps available from every mainstream streaming service out there except for Now TV. Are there any plans for this to be available? A lot of people want this.

41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would potentially buy a Nvidia Shield, if there was support for NOWTV.

I've encountered a few problems over the years, buying NOWTV boxes, then looking at Roku boxes etc.  I often find that they don't cover all of my needs.

At beginning, a NOWTV box didn't have Amazon Prime, then the Amazon Fire box doesn't have NOWTV, then the Roku doesn't have an ethernet port.

Guess what I have used continuously for about four years, that has Amazon Prime, Netflix, NOWTV and an ethernet port. - a PS3.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

It seems like most boxes out there have compromises.

There are very few that cater well for all the streaming services 'under one roof'.

In my opinion... the AppleTV is the best and only choice to get a "once box to rule them all" solution.

The only caveat to this is that, as of right now, the NowTV app is woefully outdated - BUT there is a new one coming out at some point in the not too distant future.. then the AppleTV will be perfect and all you ever need.

If you consider the main UK services to be NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple+, Disney+, BBC/ITV/C4/C5 then there are only a couple of boxes out there which cater for them all.  I believe the Roku stick is the other one but the user experience on the AppleTV is far superior in my opinion.

Its a shame about the Fire Stick... that one is almost great and great value for money (if you can ignore the adverts which I dont like) - however the fire stick doesnt have NowTV.  In the same way the NowTV stick is also great value for money but it doesnt have Amazon Prime.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well,  I just signed up to NowTV ... so I`m immediately cancelling because you can not see Now TV on the restricted list of applications on the Google TV (Nividia Shield).

This has f*** all to do with technology its to do with restrictive practices by the vendors and the fact NowTV do not want to "pay" Google to certify their application on the stable long term supported branch of android that Google TV runs on. Its a older Android version with improved security  to improve end user stability and experience that you would not get with the mobile android versions. 

Google TV *is* android ... the apps will work its just that NowTV do not wantto pay for Googles certification. 

So simply dont buy Now TV ... there are better providers out there. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey Axel

Shouldn't be so angry over tech, it'll eat you up.

Anger.png

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Sure there are - but not of the same thing.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

As of today, the NowTV is not available on the Nvidia Shield, however it is now available on the Amazon 4K Fire stick.  It works perfectly and uses the normal remote control.  Picture quality and streaming quality is perfect.  I also understand Now TV will be rolled out to the other Amazon Fire Sticks and Cube in the coming months.

As Sky now offers Prime Video on the SkyQ, I guess Amazon and Sky have an agreement in place. As for the Nvidia Shield it now offers Sky's Discovery+ which is Free if you are subscribed to SkyQ for the 1st 12 months . So frankly I think it is only a matter of time before NowTV it becomes available.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

KH
Mentor

Works like a charm 👍🏻

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've installed the Sony apk. But once I sign in it doesn't recognize my passes. I checked my account and this apk isn't showing in my device list either. I am in Ireland. Will thisbapk only work with for uk subscriptions?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Agreed, Player on my LG TV is very poor quality. Shield is a proper streaming device and quality with all other streaming services is top notch