cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HDawson
Scholar

Are there any brightness/contrast controls on the NowTV player

Just watched Last of Us and had to max out my display's brightness and contrast. That wasn't enough. I used my Nvidia card control to max the contrast, boost the brightness, and edge up the gamma, otherwise the dark scenes are near black. But the bright scenes are washed out.

Now I've started Yang, and the family sit down to a meal in darkness? Really? I see a few faces and a faint lantern on the wall but not much else.

9 REPLIES 9
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@HDawson 

Afraid not, all you get is what you’re given. 

It certainly isn’t helped that Windows is not supported for 1080p it is capped at 720p for some ludicrous reason.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
HDawson
Scholar

Thanks, yes, I just discovered that disappointment that not only no 4K but not even 2K! They kept that quiet while I signed up! I played Last of Us on the Playstation 5 at 4K and had to watch the tv series in 1K like tv thirty years ago plus the range of bright to dark was too great so I had to keep tweaking it up and down depending on the scene. Ellie nearly died in one scene because she couldn't see the infected (I think anyway because i couldn't see anything) and then she had to wear sunglasses when she came out into daylight.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@HDawson 

Something that should be done before signing up to any new streaming service and is research it to death. Boost is the only way to get 1080p and that’s even on selected devices.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

That being said if your only coming in for Last Of Us (which was fantastic and stuck perfectly to the game unlike Resident Evil 🙄 ) then I would suggest purchasing the box set off Amazon/Google play etc.

producer_ben
Mentor

Hi There,

I'm not sure if you've resolved your issue yet, but if you're using HBO or Amazon, Netflix or another service subscription (aside from now TV), try using their app instead.  Most of them have a dedicated website or "player" which allows you to stream at full resolution (depending on your internet speed of course).

For example, take disney+.  I use this a lot and found on my Samsung TV it was not supported.  I downloaded the Windows app,  connected HDMI from Laptop to TV and that solved it.  I also downloaded the smartphone disney+ app for "on the go" and that is great too.

I then recently upgraded to an LG WebOS TV and downloaded the Disney+ App there and it streams full resolution without the limitations of Now, Roku or any other service provider.

Always remember, your subscription to a streaming service isn't with NowTV, Roku, Sky, etc.  It is with the streaming service you're streaming.  They will always have their own App and/or website in order to get the best out of it and it's always worth using that over the convenience of your service provider's option.

Hope this helps.

HDawson
Scholar

Sorry for delay but I came across this while searching for a solution to the Now TV player brightness problem in a general internet search. I've not received any notifications to these posts, but I'm sure I've set setting to get them.

Anyway, are you saying my account with Now TV is not limited to pc but I could also watch it on my Playstation 5? Without further charge? Although as I recall, the Playstation 5 has no brightness controls I don't think; it relies on games setting brightness.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@HDawson 

You could adjust the TV settings for the brightness etc when using the PS5? As I know some games allow you to adjust these in game, although I very rarely need to change them. 

Absolutely, you will NOT be charged for logging into another device and streaming. The good thing is the PS5 is supported for 1080p and 5.1 via boost. So you’ll get the full benefit and enjoy it in good picture quality, amazing compared to 720p 😂

HDawson
Scholar

I've been up most of the night trying to sort this out and suffered a string of errors and defeats. I did get it working on the PS5 and it is better but my Samsung tv controls are very poor for controlling bright/contrast and any change will affect games as well. I mean, the backlight is always up full anyway, but the bright setting is awkward to reach and the difference it makes is negligible.

So I thought there was an app for the pc? I searched for this on Now without success. A lot of misery followed I won't even relate before I finally found it on Microsoft Store. Selected it but could find no download. Then I found it said it was installed. Where? So I checked the Windows Start Menu. There it is. I ran it. But when I reach the 'Let's Go' button it fails. I assume that is trying to access my default web browser - the one I'm using here and now? So why doesn't it work. This player also looks suspiciously like the one used by the web browser. Both are called Now TV Player. So what does that mean? It's not listed as a device in the device list. I only see browser and PS5. But if this app is just the same app as the browser uses then it's near useless. Are there two apps or not? A good one and an evil one? So they use the evil one from the browser and the good one from the Windows start menu? Except the good one doesn't work at all.

It's past 4:00am. I give up. I'm going bed.

HDawson
Scholar

OK, forget this. I can't sleep. I uninstalled the app and tried to install it again from the Microsoft store. It goes through the routine and even sends a verification code to my email. It then marks it that I own it. But it's no longer anywhere in Windows.

This whole thing is making me ill. I've now cancelled my account with Now and won't be using it again.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@HDawson 

There is no native app for Windows, they ditched that a while back. The "player" is the only way to watch on Windows. 

Have a nosy at these links.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/watching-now-on-windows

https://help.nowtv.com/article/something-went-wrong-error-on-now-player