cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Grey Screen when mirroring Macbook pro with Airplay

Hi,

We recently updated the NOW TV app on the macbook pro (to V3), and now we can't play anything from NOWTV on our TV.  The film shows up fine when watching on the laptop, but once the screen is mirrored, the whole film screen turns grey.  Sound is still there, but no video, just a grey screen.

It used to work fine on V2 of the app, so wondering what has changed, or are there some other settings that need to be updated?

The app on the laptop has been deleted and re-installed about 4 or 5 times, and the appletv (4th gen) has been restarted and reset a few times as well.  The only difference is the updated NOWTV app from V2 to V3.

Any ideas or can anyone help?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey,

I see a slight argument arising regarding what someone's parents use however, I have this same issue and I don't think a NOWTV stick is a very useful solution as screen mirroring is a pretty simple thing and yet it's just not working?

I have all streaming apps on my TV except it had a recent update and NOWTV was removed from it, I assume whatever contract with Samsung expired.

Does anyone have a solution for this yet? I was so excited to sign up for NOWTV but now I'm just considering cancelling if I have to watch on my laptop..

Thanks in advance!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Any ‘slight argument’ would have been over two years ago 😛

Now’s problem with screen mirroring is that it doesn’t know if the stream is going to an HDCP-compliant device, or can’t be bothered to check. So it takes the safest option, in view of its obligations to its content providers, and shuts down the video when it detects screen-sharing software.

As far as I know, the support for Samsung TVs hasn’t changed recently, and is still as here:-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/get-now-on-my-device
and read about Samsung there,

Though Now on my 2015 JS9000 is a bit hit and miss, but solid as a rock on the Roku Stick+ connected to it, so I use that, except when troubleshooting.

What model of Samsung TV have you got that used to work and now doesn’t?

I am always surprised, though, when anyone wanting to watch Now native on a TV set, and having issues, doesn’t just buy a Roku device or an Amazon Firestick at a small cost, and use that.

Anything else seems to be cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.