cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Grey Screen when mirroring Macbook pro with Airplay

Hi,

We recently updated the NOW TV app on the macbook pro (to V3), and now we can't play anything from NOWTV on our TV.  The film shows up fine when watching on the laptop, but once the screen is mirrored, the whole film screen turns grey.  Sound is still there, but no video, just a grey screen.

It used to work fine on V2 of the app, so wondering what has changed, or are there some other settings that need to be updated?

The app on the laptop has been deleted and re-installed about 4 or 5 times, and the appletv (4th gen) has been restarted and reset a few times as well.  The only difference is the updated NOWTV app from V2 to V3.

Any ideas or can anyone help?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

i have the same issue, wondering if there is a fix

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem. How do we fix this please? I just purchased the skysports pack and exact problem being described above.

I sign in to nowtv.com on macbook, switch on apple tv and airplay mirroring, when the app launches to play the program, sound is working but the screen just greys out. If I switch off airplay, then the content plays properly. 

I would like to get a refund on my subscription if this cant be fixed please.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User a grey screen normally indicates that NowTv has detected recording/broadcasting software. 

Either airplay is being confused as broadcasting software (in which case you'd have to contact now TV) or you have another application running in the background which is triggering the grey screen. It could be something as innocuous as photo editing software.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK, well thats may trial ended after only 30 mins.

I am remoting into my parent's Mac which is attached to their TV so they can watch these things without having too understand anything.

of course, technically, the remote software needs "screen recording" permission in order to send the feed to me.

...so no Now TV for my parents then.

You just lost a potential subscriber, Now TV

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update - for those who are doing the same thing as I am.

I have run a few tests, and my parents get the video back as soon as I disconnect, which is great.

I have a couple of seconds after pressing play to make the app full screen and disconnect my connection to ensure mum and dad do not lose the video at all.  If I am slow, they get grey after a couple of seconds until I disconnect (which is not the end of the world).

...so the trial continues...

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Your setup, in which you have to remote into a Mac to get video playing for your parents, would not meet my criteria for ‘non-technical’.

Why don’t you just buy them a NowTV Stick?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Sorry, not sure who you are or why I need to meet your requirement of "non technical".  Are you customer who is trying to help but does not have technical knowledge yourself?

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

The three stars beside my name indicate that I am one of the Community Contributors, so yes a NowTV customer not an employee, but we are a team who regularly help out here.

And I must hold my hand up to being a techie (IT support is my day job); but I know lots of people, especially our parents, aren’t, and we must temper our wind to the shorn lamb with them.

If there is TV/home cinema/media stuff in my house that nobody can work but me, then I count that a failure and look for simplifications. 

And I got the idea from your post above that you did not want to over-burden them with technicalities, but maybe I got that wrong?

The simplest and most reliable way by far to have NowTV, if you don’t have it as a built-in app on a TV, is with a NowTV or Roku Stick.

Maybe your parents are Mac mavens, I don’t know, and wouldn’t dream of getting NowTV via a Stick or any other way? In which case fine.

But if you offered them the choice of what they have now, or a £20 Stick, which way do you think they would go?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB

Ok, got it.

A stick wouldn't;t help because gets stressed pushing a button and dad is quite frail.

...hence the Mac mini attached to the TV which I can remote in to and move the mouse for them etc.

I did some the problem - as soon as I disconnect my remote connection, it works fine.  I had to work this out for myself as the tech team did not have a clue.

Having got it working, mum and dad decided they did not like what was on offer so I have cancelled their subscription anyway.

Thanks for all your friendly replies though.

J.