cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Smart box or Roku 4k stick+

I am aware of the benefits of a Roku over a Now TV box as regards all the extra channels/apps available on a Roku. What I'd really like to know, for sports viewing, would you guys recommend the Smart box or the new Roku Streaming Stick+?

One major factor would be getting the frame rate right to minimise/eliminate judder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I own a Roku Stick Plus and a NowTV Smart Box and comparing devices will always be subjective.

Now if you are not interested in all the other benefits of the Roku Stick Plus and only interested in NowTV watching via a Sports Pass, then i would say save yourself money and buy a NowTV Smart Box if you want the added feature on inbuilt Freeview (TV aerial required) and the option to use an Ethernet connection on the box.

Alternatively look at the new NowTV Smart Stick if you are going to use WiFi and don't want Freeview, where the smart stick is coming out end of this month where both NowTV devices natively playback at a 50hz refresh rate.

The Roku Stick Plus does offer Auto Refresh Rate adjustment on the fly by going into it's Advanced menu settings, where on my Panasonic 4K TV there is temporary black screen when the Auto Frame Refresh Rate takes place which is normal.

Out of curisoity what NowTV Playback device are you using at the moment for watching NowTV via a Sports Pass ?

What bugs me on the NowTV sports streaming service is that the frame rate is 25 fps and playback looks unnatural to my eyes when the camera pans (doesn't matter if my TV motion processing is turned on or off) and i wish NowTV would up the frame rate to 50fps.

Lets hope when NowTV offer 1080p later this year, that 50fps will be part of the specification and it would be nice also if 5.1 surround sound was added as well. 

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for getting back to me @schnapps

I wonder if there were changes made within the Panasonic tv range when handling colour etc between the manufacture of your 20015 set and my 2016 set?!? I did a little tikering with the colour range in 'advanced settings' which doesn't seem to have had any detrimental effect on any of the other apps on the stick.

The light on the smart box was flashing in response to my button presses on the stick's remote. It's certainly a strange one. I plugged the box back in this morning and somehow it knocks out the stick entirely. Truly baffling as they are in seperate hdmi inputs. The stick is also non-responsive when I press the 'reset' button on it whilst the smart box is plugged into the mains. Smiley Surprised

I'll most likely pass the smart box upstairs to the bedroom telly and replace the Roku 3 currently in use there.

I haven't re paired the remote with the stick as it works fine without the box in play. I might try that later this evening and see if it overrides whatever has been causing the conflict with the box.

PS ~ How are you finding the HDR from the Roku Stick Plus on the YouTube App and Netflix / Amazon Apps ?

Very impressed with HDR from Youtube and Netflix (haven't subbed to Amazon in a while now) on the Roku Stick Plus. I've toned down brightness and contrast just a tad as I feel having both at 100% is just a touch too eye bleedingly bright for my tastes. The level of fine detail and colour reproduction are both superb in HDR mode from these sources. Purely my opinion but I'd argue the Netflix HDR picture is much better coming from the Roku than from the TVs built in app.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I haven't got either my Roku Stick Plus or NowTV smart box hooked up to my television for the last couple of weeks due to that i am testing out other devices on my TV and haven't got enough HDMI ports on the TV to have everything connected and working all at the same time Smiley Sad

After reading your comments i have just temporarily hooked up my NowTV smart box to my television and tried using the Roku Stick Plus remote and like you rightly said the Roku remote contoller can now operate the nowtv smart box Smiley Sad

This never used to happen in the past for me from what I can remember, where the Roku Stick Plus mainly used direct WiFi for the RC key button commands (except the on / off and voulme adjust controls on the TV) though reading the specs on the Roku remote it does say Wifi / infra red.

When i have got some spare time, i will also hook up my Roku Stick Plus to see if like what you are experiencing that the RC will not pair and operate the Roku Stick Plus over WiFI direct the way it worked previously.

PS ~ Good to know that the HDR is working well on the Roku Stick Plus (wished my 4K TV had HDR where my TV can hit about 500 nits peak brightness, where Panasonic only updated one TV via a Firmware update in their 2015 TV range for HDR Smiley Sad).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

This is what I noticed when i have both my Roku Stick Plus and NowTV smart box hooked up to my television the same time.

When the NowTV smart box is in deep sleep hibernation mode with no purple light is showing on, then the box doesn't seem to operate or react to the commands from my Roku Stick Plus remote controller ( as you would expect).

Now if i either reboot the smart box, wake it up from Lan via the (WOL) App on my mobile phone or press any button on the NowTV smart box remote controller.

Then once the smart box wakes up with the purple light on, then i find that the Roku Stick Plus remote can also operate the NowTV smart box (which i didn't realise before).

Once the NowTV smart box loses it's HDMi signal after about 2 minutes, for example if i switch the TV over to the Panasonic Freeview channels or my Youview Box etc, then once the smart box is again in deep sleep mode with no purple light the Roku Stick Plus remote buttons doesn't have any effect on my smart box.

It seems that the Roku Stick Plus RC can only operate my NowTV smart box once it's out of deep sleep mode.

I never noticed this before to be honest, where i usually leave my smart box in deep sleep mode and with the smart box remote being infra red doesn't effect the Roku Stick Plus.

However, i didn't get any problems using the Roku Stick Plus with the Roku remote controller where everything paired up and operated correctly since testing in the last hour or so.

I know @commanda6 has a Roku Stick Plus and a NowTV smart box, where i am not sure if he uses them both connected to the same television in his setup ?

Perhaps he can also provide some advice and input here, being both an experienced Roku and NowTV hardware user Smiley Happy

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

This is what I noticed when i have both my Roku Stick Plus and NowTV smart box hooked up to my television the same time.

When the NowTV smart box is in deep sleep hibernation mode with no purple light is showing on, then the box doesn't seem to operate or react to the commands from my Roku Stick Plus remote controller ( as you would expect).

Now if i either reboot the smart box, wake it up from Lan via the (WOL) App on my mobile phone or press any button on the NowTV smart box remote controller.

Then once the smart box wakes up with the purple light on, then i find that the Roku Stick Plus remote can also operate the NowTV smart box (which i didn't realise before).

Once the NowTV smart box loses it's HDMi signal after about 2 minutes, for example if i switch the TV over to the Panasonic Freeview channels or my Youview Box etc, then once the smart box is again in deep sleep mode with no purple light the Roku Stick Plus remote buttons doesn't have any effect on my smart box.

It seems that the Roku Stick Plus RC can only operate my NowTV smart box once it's out of deep sleep mode.

I never noticed this before to be honest, where i usually leave my smart box in deep sleep mode and with the smart box remote being infra red doesn't effect the Roku Stick Plus.

However, i didn't get any problems using the Roku Stick Plus with the Roku remote controller where everything paired up and operated correctly since testing in the last hour or so.

I know @commanda6 has a Roku Stick Plus and a NowTV smart box, where i am not sure if he uses them both connected to the same television in his setup ?

Perhaps he can also provide some advice and input here, being both an experienced Roku and NowTV hardware user Smiley Happy

hI @schnapps @Anonymous User

yes, they are both connected to the same TV set up in my case, although I don't/can't use one remote to control both devices because each device has only ever been paired with its original remote so the smart stick remote controls the smart stick and the streaming stick plus remote controls the streaming stick plus. This is how it should be. Unless the point anywhere remote for the streaming stick plus all smart stick has been paired with both the smart stick and the streaming stick plus in which case, you would need to factory reset them to get rid of the remote pairings

One thing to note though. If you have multiple Roku/Roku-based devices connected to the same set up, particularly if you're using an AV receiver and have HDMI CEC turned on (different TV manufacturers use different names for HDMI CEC ) when your TV is switched to the input for the AV receiver, the TV will always show the device that is on the lowest numbered port. So for example if the streaming stick plus was on HDMI one on your AV receiver. If your TV was switched to the input of the amp when you last which it off when you switch it on again, your TV show the smart stick

@schnapps with regard to your streaming stick plus remote controlling the NowTV smart box. Remember that the streaming stick plus has an IR strip on the remote and all Roku/Roku-based devices over the past 3 to 4 years have used the same remote codes, so this perhaps explains why your streaming stick plus remote can control your smart box

I've done my best to explain in English, rather than double Dutch that some of this is a bit awkward to explain

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps @commanda6

Both the stick and box have only ever been paired with their respective remotes. I don't even use the original Nowtv remote as I have it mapped to a Logitech Harmony.

My tv turns on in Freeview (dtt) mode. I no longer use HDMI CEC as I no longer use the ARC function with my soundbar (changed to optical as I needed all the hdmi ports on the telly).

I wonder why the Roku remote only began working on the Smart box yesterday?!?

I am using the stick+ for everything now anyway as I have a much improved picture performance from it as compared to the smart box.

Thanks for the input and advice guys. Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

I very much appreciate you taking the time and effort to test things out for me Smiley Happy

At least it's not just my setup playing up if your Roku RC is now also controlling your smart box. Up until yesterday I didn't have this issue.

However, in my case, the Roku RC was waking the box Smiley Sad

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I can't seem to simulate the Roku Plus Remote Controller waking up my NowTV smart box, where once i have waken up the smart box from the three methods i mentioned on my last post (reboot box, WOL or press any key on smart box remote).

Then like you, the Roku Plus remote controller can operate my smart box over IR.

Though not ideal, but as long as the Roku Plus remote doesn't wake up my smart box (which it is not currently doing) then because i don't change between Roku Plus and Smart Box very often thought the day it shouldn't effect me much.

Are you feeding the smart box directly into the TV or via a AV Reciever / Sound bar ?

Edit ~ Ignore the last sentence, where i can see you have already answered it in your post above.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

I can't seem to simulate the Roku Plus Remote Controller waking up my NowTV smart box, where once i have waken up the smart box from the three methods i mentioned on my last post (reboot box, WOL or press any key on smart box remote).

Then like you, the Roku Plus remote controller can operate my smart box over IR.

Though not ideal, but as long as the Roku Plus remote doesn't wake up my smart box (which it is not currently doing) then because i don't change between Roku Plus and Smart Box very often thought the day it shouldn't effect me much.

Are you feeding the smart box directly into the TV or via a AV Reciever / Sound bar ?

Edit ~ Ignore the last sentence, where i can see you have already answered it in your post above.

If I get time tonight or tomorrow I'll hook up the box again just to confirm if the stick remote did indeed turn on the box or not. I could have been mistaken and may have woken it when changing inputs with the Harmony remote. With a Harmony when you change 'Activities' it can turn devices on/off etc if set up to do so.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I will be interested in your findings keep us updated Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps @commanda6

As promised I've plugged in the smart box again. I waited for it to go to sleep before using the Roku remote to wake up the Roku Stick Plus. The smart box also woke but this time didn't respond further to any other button presses on the Roku remote. As would be expected the box returned to its sleep state and remained there while I browsed menus etc on the stick. I've had no other problems since re remote clashes so whatever happened last night shall probably remain one of lifes mysteries Smiley LOL

PS. the Sky Sports app isn't working now on my smart box (no biggie as I've a sports sub and use the linear channel anyway) with it being kicked out of the splash screen and back into the apps menu.