cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Smart box or Roku 4k stick+

I am aware of the benefits of a Roku over a Now TV box as regards all the extra channels/apps available on a Roku. What I'd really like to know, for sports viewing, would you guys recommend the Smart box or the new Roku Streaming Stick+?

One major factor would be getting the frame rate right to minimise/eliminate judder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I own a Roku Stick Plus and a NowTV Smart Box and comparing devices will always be subjective.

Now if you are not interested in all the other benefits of the Roku Stick Plus and only interested in NowTV watching via a Sports Pass, then i would say save yourself money and buy a NowTV Smart Box if you want the added feature on inbuilt Freeview (TV aerial required) and the option to use an Ethernet connection on the box.

Alternatively look at the new NowTV Smart Stick if you are going to use WiFi and don't want Freeview, where the smart stick is coming out end of this month where both NowTV devices natively playback at a 50hz refresh rate.

The Roku Stick Plus does offer Auto Refresh Rate adjustment on the fly by going into it's Advanced menu settings, where on my Panasonic 4K TV there is temporary black screen when the Auto Frame Refresh Rate takes place which is normal.

Out of curisoity what NowTV Playback device are you using at the moment for watching NowTV via a Sports Pass ?

What bugs me on the NowTV sports streaming service is that the frame rate is 25 fps and playback looks unnatural to my eyes when the camera pans (doesn't matter if my TV motion processing is turned on or off) and i wish NowTV would up the frame rate to 50fps.

Lets hope when NowTV offer 1080p later this year, that 50fps will be part of the specification and it would be nice also if 5.1 surround sound was added as well. 

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous User
Not applicable

All back to normal this morning (minus the sky sports app still not opening) with the Roku remote having no effect whatsoever on the box (except, as has been reported, when the box is still 'active'). Smiley Happy

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Firstly i am glad in your setup that the smart box and Roku Stick Plus are now back to normal when used together on the same TV Smiley Happy.

One quick question do you mean the Sky Sports News HQ App won't open on your smart box ?

I have noticed on my NowTV smart box that if the go via the App to reach the Sky Sports News HQ channel that it does now take a longer than it used too where it still opens for me in about 15 to 20 secs.

Like you said it quicker to go directly to the Sky Sports News HQ live channel via the NowTV App Sports section now & next EPG Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps

The sky sports news app opens briefly to the splash screen, goes black for a second or two, before kicking out completely to the Apps screen again.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I am guessing you tried a forced software update by going into the secret menu on the smart box to see if fixes the broken SSN HQ App ?

The App seems to open and work for me on my smart box where i have tested it out this morning, though i must admit it is slower to open than usual.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes thanks @schnapps. I tried the forced update earlier with no effect. I intend to attempt it again later just out of curiosity. I love tinkering with my toys Smiley LOL

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Yes thanks @schnapps. I tried the forced update earlier with no effect. I intend to attempt it again later just out of curiosity. I love tinkering with my toys Smiley LOL

Still the same with the SSN HQ app. Like I say it's no biggie Smiley Happy

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User so you don't eat food cooked at home or never heat anything up in the microwave. ....
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 wrote:
@Anonymous Userso you don't eat food cooked at home or never heat anything up in the microwave. ....

I guess my humour was lost on you?