cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sb64
Scholar 2

Disney +

Hi will Disney+ app still work on the now tv stick after may?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

16 REPLIES 16
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @schnapps 

H264 does support 4K video up to 60 FPS. However, you will find no screening service wanting to use it for 4K video because the bandwidth requirements to do so would be too high. I believe HDR support is virtually non-existent in H264

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Video_Coding

edit:

I stand corrected. It seems H264 or does now have some HDR support , although I'm not sure why anybody would want to use it as the bandwidth requirements would be too high if you are using H264 to stream HDR content.

I think this must be a relatively new development that came from one of the later versions of the AVC spec

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @schnapps 

just to let you know I've edited previous post

I should point out that to make full use of everything in the AVC specification spec you would need a PC with some rather powerful hardware. Your typical streaming device would be lucky to be able to do half the things that the specification is capable of. For example, there are different encoding levels. The support of most screening devices and at level 5.2. Meaning most screening devices are going to have major problems decoding anything that is encoded at above this level

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
chilli2
Elite

Roku made/makes customised versions of its streamers for several companies outside of the UK as well .

Sky Deutschland (Germany) has/had a Roku device "Sky Ticket" as did/does Sky Italia, Kwesé Play in South Africa, Telstra Tv in Australia

All of which run custom firmware, sometimes on customised hardware so making a direct hardware comparison between a custom streaming box/stick to a retail Roku isnt always that straight forward.

If you are thinking of upgrading / getting a replacement box for any of the custom services i would recomend a Roku - i also own a Fire Stick, but prefer the Roku's ui as its less crowded and easier to get to the content - they are both very different in user interface ( front screen) where roku is about the apps, the firestick is more about amazon content .

Whatever you do i would avoid the low end Roku Express or even the SE variant thats appeared in places like B&M ( unless its for the kids bedroom) and likewise avoid the "lite" versions of amazon fire devices.

sb64
Scholar 2

I have a Roku SE which is the same as Roku ExpressI haven't seen a message saying that Disney + is ending on my device.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @sb64 

The editor of the cordbusters internet article linked in this thread, updated the article last night where he reached out to NOW and had it confirmed it's only the NOW Freeview boxes that won't support the Disney plus App after the 30th of May 2023.

With regards to Roku devices it's only the Roku 4 that wasn't officially sold in the UK that's getting the Disney + App unsupported by Disney on the 30th of May.

Where your Roku SE will be fine with regards to Disney + App.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @sb64 

just a heads up if you're going to buy a Roku in the UK. I would check the Roku website first so that you are aware of what models are currently available in the UK and then go to an official seller like Amazon or Argos and make sure the model you're looking at matches what you see on the Roku website.

A lot of the Roku models that you find on eBay for example on models that weren't officially sold in the UK. They therefore can run software which is significantly different to what you would find on Roku devices that were officially sold in the UK. In cases such as this is not uncommon for UK specific services to not work on these models. However, if you buy a model that was officially sold in the UK. All the apps (or channels, as Roku calls them) will work with no problems

the best bang for your buck in the UK right now in terms of Roku is

https://amzn.eu/d/dLUdpD1 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @schnapps 

I've now found a Roku specific information on AVC video encoding the information I gave yesterday was based on the general AVC specification

it would seem that if you're using AVC (h.264) Roku devices are limited to encoding level 4.2. Meaning if you are using AVC encoding on Roku, you are limited to a maximum of 1080p at 60 FPS and only the SDR colour space is supported when using AVC encoding.

https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/specs/media/streaming-specifications.md#dolby-audio-features-a...

assuming the information provided by Roku is up-to-date. This means that to play 4K and HDR content on the you would presumably need to be using  HEVC (h.265) VP9 or AV1