cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rath
Advocate

Chromecast not working - "NOW is no longer available on your device"

Hi everyone, I'm a new NOW subscriber.

I downloaded the NOW tv app to my Google Pixel 3 and can watch shows on the phone itself. However, when I try to Chromecast it to my LG TV I get the error "We're sorry, NOW is no longer available on your device" on the TV screen.

I'm not sure why it says this or which device it's referring to - the phone, the Chromecast or the TV? Netflix, Prime, etc work fine and I tried to factory reset the Chromecast and re-installed the app.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Rath 

Sounds like you are using the first generation Chromecast which isn't supported anymore when using the NOW App.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-set-top-boxes-streaming-devices-can-i-use-to-watch 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Rath 

Sounds like you are using the first generation Chromecast which isn't supported anymore when using the NOW App.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-set-top-boxes-streaming-devices-can-i-use-to-watch 

Francine
Advocate

Hi,

I’m from Italy and I have the same issues with the third generation of Chromecast . I can’t understand why the app is no longer available while the device is present in the list of the supported devices.

anyone with the same issues? 
the support told me that the app will not be longer available and that the now stick is no longer available in the stores.

Jayach
Elite 3

You say you are from Italy, are you trying to watch from there?

I would not expect Now to be available in Italy.

Yes it's true that the Now hardware is no longer available, but the Now app should be available on the latest Chromecast.

Now TV is finally available on Android TV, Google TV and Chromecast | Evening Standard

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Francine 

Following @Jayach advice I am assuming you are a NOW Italia customer and you are watching NOW in either in Italy or the EU and not the UK ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Francine 

Here in the UK, Chromecast generation 2 onwards is still supported by NOW.

Would have thought it would be the same in Italy (especially if it says under the NOW Italy Help article).

I don't use Chromecast anymore myself, but when I did I made sure that I casted to my TV before hitting the play button on my mobile device NOW App.

Can't really help much, but make sure everything is up to date, where sometimes I have found doing a full power down on my phone or tablet clears the NOW error.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Francine 

Forgot to ask what is the message or error code when you attempt to use the Chromecast 3rd generation with the NOW App from your mobile? 

Francine
Advocate

Hi @schnapps ,

thank you so much for your answers.

When I try to open the NOW app, at first it ask me to upgrade the app, but when I try to open the App Store I can’t find any update and I see this “error”:

this app is no longers compatible with your device. For further information contact the developers

I don’t understand why they tell me that the Chromecast it is no longer compatible with the app while it still in their list😂 (I have the Chromecast with Google TV HD).

yes, I’m in Italian customer and I’m trying to watch NOW in Italy.

Francine
Advocate

I’m Also trying to understand if it’s possible to downgrade the NOW app and return to use it…

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Francine 

I am assuming you are trying to watch in Italy with your NOW Italia account? 

Are you using a VPN on the Chromecast with Google HD TV ?

As a temporary test if you have Mobile internet data on your phone can you wifi hotspot your phone with the Chromecast Google TV to see if you can get past the messages?